Friday, November 17, 2006

True Confessions

Sometimes, I just don't understand my kids. Let's start with Megan. She is so talkative at home. But when her preschool teacher talks to her, she doesn't make a peep. When the nursery teacher greets her, she is silent as can be. I've been told by her teachers that although she enjoys her classes and activites, she usually won't talk much. She seems to want to take it all in.

Well, I WISH she'd be that way at the doctor's office! I've had to visit the doctor a lot lately for Andrew (ear infections). Naturally, Megan is always along for the ride. And for some reason, that's when Megan turns into Miss Chatty Kathy and she decides to tell the doctor everything wrong that Mom and Dad do. Here's just some of the things that she shared with the doctor while he was examing Andrew today.

"I tripped down the stairs because my mommy wasn't home and my dad was asleep and I sprained my uncle (ankle)." Yes this did happen. She had to get x-rays and everything.

Or, "I cried because you got really MAD at me." Yes, this has happened too, although it was certainly taken out of context. I'm sure I was mad because she was going to wake up Andrew.

And my all time favorite, "Yesterday Andrew fell down the stairs." Ok, this actually did happen. It was when Andrew was learning to crawl down the stairs and it happened months ago. He was fine. Nothing to call the doctor about. But, Megan made sure that it was all out in the open. The little blabber mouth.

And then I realized how silly I must have sounded to the doctor when I was trying to explain and sugar coat all of Megan's revelations. So, on our follow up visits, I will just smile and nod.

5 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Oh my heck Natalie, that is TOO hilarious! I so am with you on that. Except all of my confessions are to daddy. "Dad, mom got really mad today and threw the cereal box across the room and started crying....."

Oh you have to love it.

D-dawg said...

That is sooo funny and embarrassing. I'm so sorry that she does that. It's really funny though!! Maybe someday she'll have a child that does something like that right back to her! (o:

Kelly said...

Oooh, I'm going to have to ask that girl some probing questions. You know I love to get a good scoop.

Mindy said...

That story is so funny! I am the exact same as you - I try my hardest to clear the air after some uncomfortable sharing by my toddler. But I think I like your idea better - just smile! It did make me super nervous when Luke broke his arm, though. I already knew the Dr.'s need to find out what happened, and I could have easily ended up talking with social services depending on where Luke decided to take the story!

KickButtMommy said...

I forgot that when Christian lost a tooth one time he told everyone I hit him and it came out. Which is kind of true. He was being silly and I was sitting next to him at the table. My arm swung and hit him while I was talking excitedly and gave the final shove to his already very loose tooth.

It was better the way he told it though.