So, I went to get a hair cut and a partial foil yesterday. I don't color my hair often at all. In fact, I think yesterday was the fourth time in my life that I've ever been so adventurous.
So, they say that in the fall, one should do "low lights," or darker colors. Right?
My hair dresser was examining my hair and telling me she thought it would be a good idea for me to color my hair two shades lighter than hers is. She's Asian. Her hair is black.
What's two shades lighter than black? Light black?
So, I hesitated a little bit. She noticed.
"Not too dark," I told her. "I still want to look like me."
She laughed. Even her laugh has an accent. "Trust me, Nataree. I'm not going to dye your hair purple or anything."
Phew. Well, that's a relief!
So, we proceeded. It was a nice, long relaxing appointment. When all was said and done, I liked the way the color looked. Kind of chestnut. Which I wanted.
At least, that's how the lights in the salon made it look.
So, I get home and look in the mirror. Uh. Who's that? How did my hair go from chestnut in the salon to light black at home? Hmmm. Can anyone tell me where to buy chestnut colored lightbulbs?
That evening we went to a party for my husband's team at work. Mind you, I had just seen the majority of these people about three weeks earlier at another get together. When one of Drew's coworkers saw me, her eyes popped open, her jaw dropped in surprise, and she enthusiastically declared, "I haven't seen you FOR-EVER!"
But we had spoken at length at the party three weeks ago. Dumbfounded, I just smiled and nodded, not knowing what else to say.
Then, today at church, I was walking down the hall. An older gentlemen whom I've known for two plus years stopped mid conversation with another person and stuck out his hand to me. "Hi, my name is brother so-and-so. What's your name?"
Uh. "It's me, Brother so-and-so."
He shook his head in disbelief. "Did you do something with your hair?"
By this time, I was late to my class, so I walked away and politely said over my shoulder, "Yeah. It's darker."
Light black. I chuckled as somewhere in the back of my head I heard the distant voice that said, I still want to look like me.
19 comments:
Hey- I'VE MISSED YOU!!! Welcome back...even if you are a few shades darker!! :)
Oh my gosh, I am dying laughing!!!!! That was so funny. I'm glad your back! Welcome back. Sorry I am laughing at your expense. I am sure you look beautiful though. I LOVE dark hair. I went really dark like that soon after we moved here and people were so confused thinking I was someone else as well. Hilarious. It will "warm" up on you soon enough :)
This certainly was a story worth coming back to the blogging world for! WELCOME BACK! I was so excited - and shocked - to see a blog from you. How are you doing? I'm sorry about your hair. I don't think I've ever gone too dark before, but I've DEFINITELY gone too light. I'm sad that you had such a bad experience because now you'll be super afraid to do anything again! But I'm sure you're beautiful, no matter what!
No pressure about blogging now that you've dipped your toe in the water again. But I'd love to hear what you've been up to!
*chorus of angels singing*
A Natalie post! And just as witty as ever! I didn't realize how much I'd missed them until I just read another one. Please keep it up, would you? I've nearly stopped commenting on blogs altogether...but I feel sort of, drawn out again.
Thanks, Natalie!
Hey there! I have always wanted to do something totally adventurous with my hair and just tell the person to do what they want, but I've never been in one place long enough to find someone I trust! It's good to hear from you again. I hope your color chills out a bit in the next little while.
I need to see a picture! Does this mean you are joining the blogging world again? I've missed you.
I need to see a picture! Does this mean you are joining the blogging world again? I've missed you.
My life somehow feels complete again. Now we just need a picture. Don't they say "once you go black you never go back?" hmmm, maybe that means something else! :)
Your back! Thanks for the laugh, but I'm sorry you don't like the hair. I seem to be the queen of bad hair lately. I'm sure you look great anyway! I've always wondered what you would look with dark hair! Post a picture!
So good to see you back! :)
Natalie I am glad you're back. No pressure but it is good to hear from you! We need a picture of your hair. I'm thinking of going dark... like black... but it is scary. I bet you look darling as always.
Call me oblivious, or just a little pre-occupied, but I didn't even notice when I saw you on Sunday! Oops!
Yay! I'm so glad you're blogging again! And you HAVE TO post a picture! I can't even picture you with dark hair, but I'm sure it looks great even though it was what you were expecting.
Natalie! So good to hear from you. And I bet you look fabulous as always. Great to read your post.
I've been considering low-lights, too - but to cover the gray strand my children have so lovingly counted and named for me. Any tips?
Nataree you are so funny! I have missed you and I am glad you are finally back. Where is a pic of you new hair color? Chad talked me into the whole light black thing a few months ago and I love it!
I just redid my blog style and wanted all the links the same color so I clicked on yours- not expecting a post- just wanting uniformity on my blog when what did I see? OH MY GOSH!
I wish I knew where to buy chestnut colored lightbulbs. In some Asian country?
I bet you looks devastatingly gorgeous!!!!
Funny story! Sounds simular to mine when I wanted a change (I was pregnant and needed something) My light black was fun for a season. I hope you post a picture.
Great story, but you are not going to show a picture of your ASIAN DARK HAIR??? Come on, you are leaving us hanging!
Post a Comment