Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Locals

Each time we move, I've discovered that there's a little something unique to our new town. Not only with the lay of the land and the weather, but with the people and even the way they speak. We've lived here less than a year, and these are the things I've noticed. Dinner is actually called supper. If someone says hotdish, they're talking about a casserole. A pony tail holder or an elastic is called a binder. The famous children's game "Duck, Duck, Goose" Is actually supposed to be "Duck, Duck, Grey Duck." I'm sure there are dozens more that I'll soon discover. But most of all, the people here are just plain nice, even on the roads. I have yet to see road rage here. If you come to a four way stop, the other driver almost always waves you through to let you go first. It's especially funny when you both try to let eachother go first. Man, now I don't even know what to do with myself at a four way stop. It's a good place.

5 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Funny you mention that. Miles and I went to dinner last night with friends. The few that grew up in the valley (San Fernando Valley-as in where original Valley Girls came from)used the word Heshers to describe some stereotype of high schooler. The best they could describe it was the Judd Nelson character from Breakfast Club. I must admit I never heard that word in my entire life. I believe we used stoner!

KickButtMommy said...

Oh yeah, and drivers are definitely not nice in LA! So you are blessed there!

D-dawg said...

that is so fun to discover new things in new places! Dave and I wish we had had more of an adventure. We just came back to where we grew up and will probably stay here forever! oh well. I guess that's what travelling is for. Those are interesting differences.

Jessica Brown said...

Oh man, what a life. Nice drivers? Are you sure it really exists? I wouldn't know. I live in Utah!

Mindy said...

That's so fun to live in such a considerate place! And it's so neat that you guys have lived in so many different places. Is this where you guys are going to be for good, ya think? It's sounds like a small-town feeling with all the generosity!