This afternoon, I heard J & Megs playing hide and go seek. James came up with some pretty nifty hiding places. He was quickly disappointed
come free!" immediately after counting rather than putting forth even an honest effort at finding him. Sisters. What do you expect?
It reminded me of how much I loved playing hide & seek with my siblings and neighbors. And our all time favorite outside game: Kick the Can. We would play it for hours until the sun would set. The whole neighborhood would get invloved. Such fun memories. Can't wait to teach my kids how to play it.
Then I started to remember other fun times and happy memories I had as a kid. Sledding, running through the sprinklers, slip n' slide, root beer floats, water colors, barbies, forts, tickle wars, water fights, crimping my hair while listening to "Tiffany" on my purple retro stereo (any of you remember her?). Every Saturday night, my mom would put my hair up in sponge curlers while I watched the Love Boat in my Pajamas.
I remember laughing a lot and loving being with my family. It was so nice not to have many cares or worries - and even better not to have to do the dishes very much! Ahh, there's nothing like happy memories. I'm grateful for happy memories; they've helped me create fun moments with my children.
5 comments:
Isn't it scary, sometimes, knowing that your kids are forming memories? Sometimes, after a bad day I think, "Please don't remember that!" One thing that makes me happy though, is our kids having great memories of being with you and Drew and their cousins. They love you, as do we.
I have some of those same memories from my childhood. I love making new memories for my kids.... especially family trips. We were so lucky last year that some of our friends invited us to stay in a time share in Mexico. It's been a year since our trip and my kids still talk about it ALL OF THE TIME! It's their best memory so far. By the way, I love your new template... where did you get it? I didn't see it in blogger. But maybe that's cause I'm still on the old blogger.
They are beautiful. Thanks for the positive and uplifting post! I needed it today.
I am totally with you about the mommy entertaining job. I definitely would love if that weren't one of my duties, along with nourishing them. But your kids seem a lot better at entertaining themselves than mine do. Good job at teaching them independent play! I was also just reminiscing about how carefree childhood is. On an icy day when I'm driving my kids around, I'm so stressed and their lives are in my hands. And they haven't a care in the world. Childhood is the best!
Oh man! What smart kids. I miss them!
Post a Comment