Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Highlights From Mother's Day

The "flowers" I got from the kids































The oven mitt made for me by Megan:



















A cute new maternity outfit from Drew:























It was a peaceful and nice day. Early in the morning, Drew woke me up to wish me Happy Mother's Day and he broke the news to me that he had the stomach flu. Poor guy. He was sick as a dog. He apologized to me all day, but I just felt bad that he was so sick. Later that evening, he felt a little better and still managed to pull together one of the most delicious dinners ever (steaks on the grill, corn on the cob, cooked spinach, fresh bread, and pound cake with juicy strawberries for dessert). He was so thoughtful to pick out this cute new outfit for me.

The kids were really great - they made me cards, picked me dandelions fresh from our yard, and they fought as much as they usually do :).

There were moments throughout the day when I was tempted to feel guilty about the things I wish I did better as a mom. But I made the decision to push the guilt aside. Instead, I felt grateful for my role as a mom. Grateful for the special kids I've been blessed to parent. Grateful for my husband who supports me in my responsibilities as a mother. It was a nicer way to spend the day.

Things I love about my mom:

* She has a solid testimony and is an example to me of someone strong and dedicated to the gospel.

*She has fantastic taste, a wonderful sense of style, and a great eye for quality. Hmmm, is this why I have expensive taste?

*She can fix anything, mend anything, and get out any stain, making it look better than new.
* She is a hard worker.
* She always smells good - you know, just the way your mom smells. I've always loved the way her bedroom smelled. Her purse. Her clothes.
* She has a wonderful sense of humor and I love it when she really gets laughing.
* She will do anything for her kids.
* She is my best friend.
* She lets me talk to her about anything and everything and always listens and always cares.
* She loves to read.
* She loves to shop and go to fun restaurants. This is my favorite thing to do too!
* She is the sweetest and most loving Grandmother.
* She is very thoughtful.
* She is the epitome of sacrifice. She knows how to rescue a sinking ship and will do what it takes.
* I really love my mom.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie, you look SO great. And is that some of your beautiful new jewelry? Glad to hear it was a nice day, and I hope that Drew is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

And I love that pic of Megan holding the flower. What a great picture!

Jessica Brown said...

Man all I have to say is I wish I could look that hot when I'm pregnant! Seriously Natalie you look soo good!

I also loved the list of things you love about your mom. What a cool thing to do. Hopefully your mom will see that and feel special. :)

Kelly said...

Natalie, what a cute outfit. You and Drew seemed to be well matched as far as good taste goes. Aren't you glad? The kids look adorable too.

I've been getting lots of dandelions as well. I always have the hardest time figuring out where to put them. Well, actually I know where they're going, I just have to sneak them in the garbage while the kids aren't looking.

I'm always impressed by your mom as well. She is an awesome lady!

D-dawg said...

That is a nice post about your mom, Natalie. Moms are the best. And you look super adorable in your new outfit! Good for Drew! And cards and flowers from kids are the best too. I'm glad you had a nice day. Good job putting aside the guilt feelings that try to sneak in. Purely from Satan who wants us to feel bad. Most moms are doing their best and that's all that matters! Thanks for sharing!!!

Mindy said...

Happy late Mother's Day! Bummer about Drew having the flu, but it seems that nothing can stop the most amazing meals from finding their way to your table. Yum! Thanks for posting that cutest picture of you! That's amazing that Drew picked out that outfit! Great taste. You look so good pregnant! I knew it.

KickButtMommy said...

Natalie, you all look fabulous. I have never seen you preggers and you look darling of course. What a great outfit!

That was a perfect tribute to your mom!

Anonymous said...

Good job Drew on picking out a cute outfit! You look SO good pregnant - and your 4th to boot! I'm glad you had a good day. Thanks for your comments on our office decor - I wish you had written more! It really is so helpful to us to hear outside opinion, and to try to figure out what people really want. If you ever have other thoughts or ideas, please share!

Cheesy Mama said...

Sounds like you had a great Mother's Day. It's nice to be able to recognize the wonderful things about our mothers'. If only we were able to do this when we were kids. And you do look fantastic. Drew did an amazing job with the outfit. Hope he is feeling better.