Monday, July 23, 2007

List Maker, List Maker, Make Me a List!

Ah, it's Monday.

Time to do laundry. Time to clean. Time to make a plan for the week. I usually try to do the latter during the weekend so that I can be ahead of the game. If I don't make my lists and get my plan ready before Monday, then I am usually more frazzled during the week. Do any of you feel this way about planning and making lists?

Read the criterion below to see if you are a list maker. If you identify with any of the following, then you are crazy just like me:

True list makers have a perpetual need to make lists of everything they do or have yet to do. Here's why: If you don't write it down, then you will think of the same task a half a dozen times. Stress increases because you'll think you have six things to do instead of one.

Be certain to have pens, post-it notes and a few notebooks handy so that you can make lists when thoughts come to mind. At the very least, keep one in the kitchen, by the computer, close to your bed, and in the car.

If you accomplish a task that you forgot to write down, then go ahead and write it down so that you can cross it off. There's nothing like crossing something off your list!

Keep a list close to the fridge to write down groceries that you need the next time you go to the store.

Keep a running list for birthday and Christmas ideas. As well as traditions you want to try, family night ideas, summer activities and restaurants you need to visit, to name a few.

Write down the funny things your kids do and say.

Make lists of ideas of what to cook for dinner.

Don't forget to make lists of projects for your house, and goals you've been meaning to get to since January 1st. Even if you've procrastinated these things, you can still feel OK about it as long as you have it written down.

Warning: The overuse and over-making of lists can render you unable to think on your own. You'll know you've reached this point when you don't know all that needs to be accomplished unless you have a list telling you what to do. If you forget your list for the grocery store, you may as well turn around and go home. You are beyond the point of remembering things on your own anymore. Being a list maker is contagious. Soon the people and loved ones around you who were once normal will become list makers in some form or another.

11 comments:

Kelly said...

Man I WISH this described me! Lately, I'm just sitting staring at things that need to be done but I'm lacking that extra umph, or desire or motivation to get them done. Make me a Moving Task List, would ya?:)

Judy said...

Oh, that is so me! I love my Sunday night lists! In fact, last night I wrote a list of all the things we have going on this week and things I hope to take care of. I usually plan meals, too, like you do! Jeff has finally learned, he can aske me to do something a thousand times, but until it's on my list, it's not going to happen!

Anonymous said...

You know I'm with you on this one Nat! I think I qualify for almost everything you said. I'll add running lists of movies to see and books to read.

I would like to add that you are one of the most organized people I've ever met. You're amazing!

KickButtMommy said...

That is pretty funny. I don't think I am that bad, I only make lists when things start to get out of hand.

D-dawg said...

I am SUCH a list maker! And I love it. Without my lists I couldn't function. And I even have a list by my bed at night. It helps me sleep. Monday's are so hard for me too. Today was especially rough! There's always so much to do after the weekend. List makers unite!

Anonymous said...

As a list maker myself, I can totally relate. I think I know where we get it, too.
Remember those green steno notebooks mom kept around the house? She would make grocery lists, to-do lists,weekly menus, birthday lists, packing lists - and my favorite - lists of what she would wear to work for the week. We have no hope of ever breaking free from listmaking.
H

Laura said...

Smitty- this is SO me too! I am every one of those! I am constantly writing things down! I'll even add the "honey do list." Lists keep me sane!

Evelyn said...

I love lists... I think what you say is so true- it alleviates stress because you no longer have the idea floating around in your brain. I even make lists for Blake to do! Luckily he doesn't mind because his mother did the same thing for him growing up. He had a list of chores every Saturday. She trained him well!!

Mindy said...

I love lists, too! I need to be more diligent, but my list of "Things I Want To Buy" is never neglected.

little miss shortcake said...

oh, it's all too true... i am definitely a list maker. i can't even go on vacation without making a list!

Jen said...

I make a list of to-do's and then can't find it until I am done with what I feel like doing!
I always make a detailed grocery list.
Most important-the running Birthday/Christmas list of my own. I hope it inspires my husband to buy me a surprise for non-occassions. It hasn't worked, yet!