Thursday, July 19, 2007

So, Who Really Does It?

Phew! Time to get that picture of my kitchen floor off the top of my blog!

Now for my next dilemma. James lost tooth #3 last night! He was so excited. Then started asking the tough questions.

While driving to soccer, he asked, "Mom, who really does it?"

"Who really does what, J?" I asked.

"Who really leaves the money under the pillow? Is the Tooth Fairy real?"

I wasn't prepared for this question.

You see, I think it's kind of fun to play along with the excitement of Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, etc. However, I am not going to go to great lengths to make my kids believe it longer than they're ready to believe it. If they ask if it's true, I don't want to lie to them.

On the other hand, I'm not going to burst their bubble early if they're really having fun with the idea of Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy.

"What do you think, James?" Was my response. He was quiet as he sorted out the logic in his mind. Then he said,

"What about Santa Clause? Who really gets all the presents and does all the work?"

Whoa, kiddo! Let's just get to soccer practice...

It appears that he is probably ready to be told the truth. But he's barely six. Is that a little young to handle all this? Is it too young to sit him down and say, "Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy aren't real. They're just for fun. Now, please don't tell your sister!"

I decided I'd rather tell him the dirt with Drew's help. We haven't done it yet. James hasn't asked about it since that conversation. And I want to be careful to make sure he is ready.

So, how do you handle this issue with your kids?

10 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

WE have done the same with C. "do you believe it?" I think he doubts it but still wants it to be real. You know? So he stops asking.

little miss shortcake said...

i am probably the most gullible person ever and didn't find out about Santa until my teacher told me in 3rd grade!

Evelyn said...

I remember my mom told me that Santa is real to those children and people who believe he is real. She said that if you don't believe it.. he's not real. I was very young- like James- when I asked. And... I was the oldest of 5, so I think my mom was feeling the same way you do (not wanting to spoil it for the other children). That explanation satisfied me for the time. Good luck!!

Jen said...

Stephanie's answer is good. I was going to say, watch Polar Express!

D-dawg said...

I haven't had to deal with this yet! But I have thought about saying...Santa will only come if you believe... or something cheesy like that! I also am not into elaborating on the lie. So if they flat out ask me, I'll try to avoid it and then probably end up telling. Let us know what you end up doing!!!

bsmith13 said...

Ah, you cynical young folk. I believed in Santa Claus until 6th grade. I started having trouble with flying reindeer when I found out about Bernoulli's Principle, lift, drag, thrust and gravity.

Both of our older girls were told when they were around 10-11. They asked, and we gave a gentle answer. Nathaniel (who is currently 11, for those of you who don't know him) is an interesting case. I think that he knows. But he doesn't want us to know that he knows. So he writes letters to the Tooth Fairy, which Becky has answered by building up an impressive array of TF Mythology.

Anonymous said...

I have a book about the toothfairy. (LOL). The premise is that the toothfairy doesn't want to be identified, so she dresses up to look like the child's parent. It's cute.

I think Sarah is at the same stage as Nathaniel - she knows, but she doesn't want us to know that she knows. Because once you admit it's not real, you are no longer a believer.

p.s. We both know someone who didn't find out about Santa until she was 12 from her not so nice friends.

Jessica Brown said...

Oh just tell him they are real, because they are you carry many titles like Mother, Santa Clause, and even the tooth fairy, and you exist don't you? :)

Kelly said...

James looks so big in that picture without his tooth! I love the little first-grader toothless grin!

And about the tooth fairy--just be grateful he hasn't asked where babies come from!

Or has he?

Anonymous said...

Maika asked the same question about Santa Clause last week! I passed it off to Jeremy who conceded that Santa wasn't real after Maika first volunteered that he thought he was a fake. They grow up too fast!