Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Dear Toy People...

To The People Who Package Toys:


My kids really enjoy receiving toys. Until we try to open them. The amount of time it takes to get a toy out of the package so that you can actually play with it is ridiculous. My kids become impatient, and so do I, as we try to get to the toy. It causes much distress and weeping. That's because you all package your toys like this:



Now, is that really necessary? Are you that worried about someone stealing the toy out of the package? It's obvious that the true cost to manufacture these toys is about $1.50. But the cost of packaging is $25. Just something I thought you should know.


In other toy news, Megan was perfectly content during quiet time yesterday. She usually comes out two or three times and I have to usher her back to her room. The reason she was so content and didn't come out once is because she snuck the scissors into her room! Heaven help me. She really loves cutting up her Polly Pockets.


We will now be holding a funeral procession for many of her Pollys, and their outfits. It will be closed casket, of course, due to the the gruesome nature of their demise.

10 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

I am so with you on the toys. What is with that? I hate trying to get toys out!

Poor polly pockets. We will have a moment of silence for them.

"It's quiet. A little too quiet."

Mindy said...

I COMPLETELY agree about the toy packaging. And you bring up a wonderful point that the packaging probably costs more than the toy is even worth. And, fine, tie up every individual arm and gun, but do it with material that can be cut with scissors! Unwinding takes hours.

That is so funny that Megan snuck scissors into her room. She truly has an obsession. Or addiction, rather. She's so funny!

kim dance said...

hey Natalie!
i totally agree with you...at braden's birthday party it was so ridiculous, we finally gave up and just made him wait till it was over to open anything!
I love checking your blog as well! It's great to see how you are doing! when's the baby due? And of course you can have a link to mine on here...i'm flattered! :)

bsmith13 said...

Hey Nats,

Since I am the biggest kid you know, it shouldn't surprise you that I like to get toys out of packages. In order to make it as quick and painless as possible, I get together a Phillips Head screwdriver, a Swiss Army knife, and a pair of wire cutters before every birthday party or for Christmas. The wire cutters make quick work of those twisty things, and the other tools are usually necessary for battery installation or other assembly chores.

Evelyn said...

I'm cracking up right now- as usual. Have you ever considered writing a column in the newspaper? You are too funny. But yes... I know what you mean about the toys. Blake and I have wondered the exact same thing!

D-dawg said...

That makes me laugh about her scissor obsession! She is hilarious. And I can't agree more about the ridiculous packaging issues we have in this country. By the time I get it opened my kids have lost interest completely!

little miss shortcake said...

i can't even open, toys, nowadays. i don't think the manufacturers really want us to. so i am keeping a nice collection of toys in mint condition.

Jessica Brown said...

I have noticed that about toy packaging before. Why do they do that?

That's hilarious about Megan!

Anonymous said...

HI Natalie!
We might be joining you for good now--we have an offer at Gen. Mills!! YAY!!

Also--about the toys, Matt and I always open and untie the gifts we give our kids because it's so anti-climactic to give them something and then spend 20 more minutes opening it. By then the fun is usually over!

Laura said...

Smitty- have you had your baby? It isn't like you not to post anything for a few days!