Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Diet/Exercise Commencement

Disclaimer: Those of you who have never had to work to be skinny or lose weight will not appreciate this post to the full extent.

I once saw a saying that has always stayed with me because it rings so true. It goes like this:

"I quit exercising because it was hazardous to my health. My thighs rubbed together so much, my underwear caught on fire."

And that's pretty much how I've been feeling lately as I've been trying to get back into the grove of exercising and monitoring what I eat.

I've heard it suggested that one should keep a journal when embarking on the journey of weight loss. My journal reads as follows:

Thursday: I'm totally going to start my diet and exercising on Monday.


Friday: Well, since I'm starting my diet on Monday, I better enjoy some junk food while possible without the guilt.

Saturday: Am I really ready to start this on Monday?

Sunday: With a feeling of panic I realize it's the last day before the diet begins. Let's see ... what else can I eat? Good thing I'm working out tomorrow.


Monday: Well, I didn't have time to plan my diet menu yesterday. And this week is looking pretty busy. So, I think I'll start my diet next week. And since I'm not dieting today, I may as well wait to start exercising until tomorrow.

Side note: For some reason, there's an unwritten rule that diets can NOT be started in the middle of the week. Mondays only. And only if you're having a good Monday. And it must be in the morning on a good Monday. I just had an epiphany. No wonder so many dieters are unsuccessful. Think about it. A "Good Monday Morning" is an oxymoron at it's finest.



Tuesday: Wake up, and put on exercise clothes. Persevere through a rough morning, of lots of rain, crying, hungry, poopy kids and one major fall in the parking lot after dance class which ruined tights. But, I will prevail. I will workout in the afternoon!

Tuesday Afternoon: Well, I didn't actually make it to the gym. But at least I stayed in my work out clothes until 3:30 pm. I'm working up to it, OK people?


Wednesday and Thursday: This is a time to mourn all the comfort food I want to cook and eat now that Fall is here and the holidays are approaching. Oh, and, Trader Joes is opening near my house in a few days.

Friday: The stars were aligned, it wasn't raining, Emily slept the whole morning, and so I made it to the gym! The workout felt great! But I'm still waiting until Monday to start my diet.

15 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow, Natalie. You just described me to a "T". Lately I've been getting up and putting on work out clothes, then talking myself out of working out all morning long. I keep trying to quit sugar again too, with absolutely no luck. Glad I'm not the only one who can't commit.

Stina said...

That is so funny and so true. I've found that sometimes the hardest part is just getting into the workout clothes. Once I'm dressed, I'm motivated to actually work out, but sometimes I can't even bring myself to put on the clothes. Good job going to the gym!!!

Laura said...

You GO GIRL!!! I am proud of you for getting started with such a little one! PS- are you sure you need to lose weight? You looked great in the blessing photos!

Cheesy Mama said...

You crack me up. I feel the same way about getting back in shape.

Mindy said...

That is definitely how my mind works, too! It's Monday to begin, or never begin at all. Why does it have to be that way? Good job going to the gym! My Grandpa gave me a really old treadmill that stares me in the face all day. But if I had to go to the gym to excercise, I wouldn't stand a chance!

little miss shortcake said...

Way to go on making it to the gym!
I like to start my diets on Wednesdays - Mondays are bad because we eat out on the weekends so you don't want to weigh in after that. Fridays are just a bad day to start. So Weds is my happy medium.
But I have found that my Fish Oil Capsules (barf) are like magic and help the pounds come off easier (woo-hoo Omega 3 Fatty-Acid Power!)

Jeni and Dave said...

What?? The stars were aligned on Friday? Why didn't anyone tell me?! Actually, I think it takes a Blue Moon for me to make it to the gym. Does anyone know when the next one is? My diet exercise regime would be so much better if I were an astronomist ... or is it astronomer?

Anonymous said...

Just give up. If Trader Joes is opening near your house, you don't have a chance - at least I wouldn't if I were you! I miss that place SO much!

Jessica Brown said...

Just this morning I walked out to go for a walk, had my exersize clothes on, Liv was happy and in her stroller, and I just walked right back in the house. I just simply didn't feel like moving! I feel you Natalie!

By the way, you are a hilarious writer. You should start a magazine Moody Blogger!

Kim said...

I just found your site through Tracey, and I LOVED reading this entry. I think you hit a chord with so many women out there! We miss you guys. Tell James I said hello!

Evelyn said...

Too funny, Natalie! And- it is so true. I really hate dieting. It's so hard after a baby! Because you have hormones, and fatigue working against you! It's awful. Good luck to you for next Monday!

David Paxman said...

Natalie,
What was hilarious. You sound like me with gardening.

Jen said...

Sucks doesn't it. I am always happy when it isn't one of my running days. Did you know it is easier to start something new on a Wednesday? The happy no pressure day? Good luck. I worked out at 4 am when Cannon was itty bitty. But, I didn't have other kids, so would then sleep until 9.

Alicia said...

I'm right there with ya. Trying to watch what you eat after being pregnant is a killer. I'm used to being able to excuse the bad eating and lack of exercise to the growing child in my belly. Having to come to terms with my post-pregnancy body with no more excuses really hurts! Thanks for this post!

Mad Queen said...

Hear hear on it all... why does it have to be so hard to eat healthy and exercise regularly. There are FAR too many excuses. I am surrounded by TEENY TINY WOMEN here. I have never felt so HUGE in all of my life. You would think that would motivate me to really kick it in gear and be the thin I want to be... but you know, diet starts Monday! Plus I have a sister getting married in December... isn't that a good reason to lay off of the junk? Japan has yummy treats... lots of exercise, but yummy treats. It is a serious problem.