Thursday, April 03, 2008

Breakfast of Champions

So, I really don't intend to make all my posts about food. I promise. I'm not that obsessed with eating.
(Or even if I am, it's not like I'm going to admit it.)

... but ...

I have decided that I love breakfast. Do you want to know why? Because it is a wonderful opportunity to eat healthy. Seriously, you would be surprised at all the daily food requirements you can satisfy with a simple breakfast. Calcium, fiber, cancer-fighting fruits, natural oils and healthy fats, are just some of the things that you'll find at the breakfasts in our house.


Here are our favorites:



Frosted Mini Wheats with blueberries. This is also good with just a little bit of Grapenuts sprinkled on top for extra crunch.









Total - add your own raisins and sprinkle on some cinnamon. Add some chopped almonds if you'd like - only a few.









Toast a whole wheat english muffin and butter it just a little. Warm up some canadian bacon and top with shredded cheddar cheese. My kids love this one.








Low-fat Vanilla yogurt. Chop up six almonds and then add your fruit of choice. I probably eat this most often because I can eat it in the car on those mornings when we're late.








Whole wheat waffles with little maple syrup, chopped pecans and your favorite fruit. Yum.









Extra crunchy peanut butter and honey on whole wheat toast. Don't forget the banana on the side.





What do you eat for breakfast?

Stay tuned; cute pictures of my kids coming soon (mom).

15 comments:

Allison said...

Pop tarts and Propel. Darn it! I am so coming to your house for breakfast Natalie, I loved the looks of your breakfasts!!

KickButtMommy said...

mmm, they all sound so good. I love Kashi with blueberries and good old wheaties with banana. But I REALLY love oatmeal with craisins, pecans, and brown sugar!

Marti said...

Next time you eat Frosted Mini Wheats, add a touch of coffeemate french vanilla creamer to your milk (fat free)--it tastes like dessert! So good!

Judy said...

Wow, you are really healthy! Those all look so yummy! I'm BORING with breakfast, but I do love that it's easy and healthy. I went for years having cold cereal. Then I started having two pieces of whole wheat toast with spray butter and jam. A few months ago I switched to having a pack of flavored oatmeal, which I share with Jackson. Problem is, I eat around 9 and am ready for lunch by 11! I should add in some fruit. I do need to eat more fruits and veggies.

David Paxman said...

Natalie,
I love talking about food too. My favorite food is whole wheat toast with honey or Kelly's granola. Here's a fun recipe for Blender Pancakes.
Blend on high
1 1/2 C. buttermilk (or l C. yogurt and 1/2 C. milk
3/4 C. whole wheat (uncooked)

Add and blend until combined:
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tblsp. cornmeal
2 eggs
1/4 C. margarine (I use oil because it's healthier)
1/2 tsp. soda
1 Tblsp. baking powder
Cook on hot griddle

PS Thanks for feeding my grandchildren such healthy breakfasts.

Jen said...

Breakfast is my least favorite meal.
I eat a bowl of Fiber One and a bowl of junky sugar cereal, a yogurt and a fruit or a yougurt fruit smoothie.
If i am starving I eat a burrito. No joke.

Keri said...

Peanutbutter toast and banana is my favorite. I always am a happy mom when my kids eat it for breakfast. Love all you r ideas. Keep them coming.

Cheesy Mama said...

Can I come to your house for breakfast?

D-dawg said...

Great breakfast ideas Natalie. My kids are so weird and picky though, I hate it! Like they won't eat raisins or english muffins. I might have to try some of these for myself though.

Jessica Brown said...

Yum those all look so good! I love waffles with peanut butter and syrup! One of my fav's!

Kris said...

I'll have Allison pick me up on her way to your house ~ Diet Pepsi and cupcakes, cookies or whatever was for dessert the night before is my usual. Either I need to remove desserts from our menu or get up 15 min earlier. Cupcakes are really good, but you have motivated me to try harder. Maybe my morning shakes, not smoothies, but body shakes would go away too.

Michiko said...

What healthy, and tasty looking breakfast ideas! I'll have to try some of those. And I'm glad you and Andrew made it through the surgery! I've only gone through someone else's surgery as a sister. I can only imagine how much worse it is waiting around as a mother!

lani said...

Did you take all your own food photos? Beautiful! I want breakfast right now. If you hear a knock at your door in the morning, it's just me--coming for breakfast.

Jen said...

I have been wondering if you made all those breakfasts in one morning or if it took a week. If you ever need to get a job- I suggest food taster or food photographer. Get paid for what you love, right?

Jill said...

YUM! Thanks for the idea's...they sound divine!!!!!