Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Treasure the Doing a Little More

Recently, I was looking for my planner to write down some new tasks on my To-Do list. I opened my notebook to find that there were no empty pages left. The remaining sheets had been used by someone with an orange marker. She had traced her little hand on every page.

Just after I discovered this, I heard the perpetrator singing in the other room. Her song of choice: Mary Had a Little Lamb. Fake vibrato included.

This brought a smile to my face. Ever since I heard this quote by Anna Quindlen, I have tried to find more pleasure during daily interactions with my kids. It reads,

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more, and the getting it done a little less."

I want to take it all in. The good, the bad. The messiness, the peacefulness. The tantrums. The sweet hugs. The stickiness and cute laughs. The loud noises and the (usually) wonderful smells. The squishy cheeks, and general fullness that is part of the whole taking-care-of-little-kids-package.

I try to memorize the feel of my children's little arms giving me hugs. I love that they snuggle with me in bed for the last few moments of the morning. Even though I'm often awakened much earlier than I'd like to be.

I know I'll look back on this time and chuckle that someone always had a messy diaper just as we were rushing out the door. Or that one could find a couple of peanut butter finger prints on the shoulder of my T-shirts.

Maybe I'll never grow out of calling one child by another sibling's name. I know I'll never tire of hearing them laugh and play together. Or watching them be kind and loving to each other.



Ms. Quindlen has reminded me that some day I'll look back with fondness at the time Andrew took off his diaper at the YMCA daycare and the staff found me with panicked looks on their faces, telling me he was running around commando. Or even laugh at that particular day, early one morning, when Andrew discovered how to open the back door. He ran outside, turned on the hose, and laughed and laughed while he soaked my pajama clad self as I wrestled to get the hose free from his grasp. Or even that time when I discovered he didn't like Fig Newton cookies after he chewed them up and spit them in my cozy, furry Ugg boots.

I've learned to treasure the hundreds of little pictures my children draw for me. I've realized just how many children's books I can repeat by heart. And the number of those stories that my kids can repeat to me verbatim. I wonder if I'll forget the way a little kiss from mom really did make someone feel better.

Frequently, I am told by everyone I meet that I have my hands full. But, when I kiss each child goodnight, studying their precious faces as they sleep, I think to myself, "Yes. I've got my hands full. But not for long!"

25 comments:

Brooke said...

Beautiful Natalie. Just beautiful. Thanks for those words and thoughts. I agree in SO many ways. What a blessing they are.

Allison said...

Oh, it is so true Natalie. It sounds trite for an old mom (me) to tell a young mom (you) how quickly the time goes, but I'm just sayin. . .
it seems like last year when my 3 year old James hid in the hardware section of Fred Meyers in Utah and we had to lock down the place and call the cops, only to find him lying down on a rack under some area rugs. Cozy. Or when he drank a whole tub of melted margarine at a family barbeque. Yummy. You have it all right Natalie, to enjoy the doing. Loved your post!

KickButtMommy said...

That was a truly beautiful post Natlie. It inspires me, truly! I am so thankful for your friendship and example. Thanks once again.

Heather

Jill said...

That was so sweet...and so wonderful! You took the words right out of my mouth. I feel the same way, and dealing with infertility makes me treasure every little thing Tanner does that much more, because I don't know if I'll ever get those times again! They are priceless.

D-dawg said...

It's so true Natalie, thank you for the reminder!

Cheesy Mama said...

Thanks for the insight. I'll remember that the next time Kate dumps my new bottle of face soap on the floor. At least the floor will be clean and wrinkle free!

Chad and Sara said...

Did you get my invite to my private blog? I hope I have your correct email address. Your kids are so adorable and it makes me want one even more than I already do.

Natalie said...

Sara: Thanks for your comment! I didn't get the invite. Maybe you don't have my email address. Send it to nataliehoopes@gmail.com. Can't wait to hear from you. :)

Chad and Sara said...

I hope you got the invite this time. I had the wrong email address. Hey I heard through the grapevine you guys might be moving back to Utah? I hope its true!!!!

Rachael said...

Lovely thoughts Natalie. Makes me somewhat sad - thinking I've probably raised my voice too many times today towards my kids. I like the picture of Andrew - sneaking those cookies away :)

Laura said...

SO, SO TRUE!! Each little moment is SO precious!! Time really goes so quickly!! We are SO blessed to be mothers! Thanks... I needed that! (with a husband gone for 2 weeks- it has been a bit stressful this past week!)

AD said...

WOW! I love the new look of your blog!! The picture of the feet is SO cute!

Mad Queen said...

Love your new blog title... the feet... gorgeous! What sweet sentiments... enjoy the journey and not the destination is another good one. I love my kids but they make me crazy too... mostly after 7:00pm... that is when my melting point starts... I loose that patience and I am caught saying "I'm done" about 100 times...done for the day. But another day starts with fresh hugs and sleepy faces with tangled hair and I love them all over again. Thanks for the sweet reminders. You are awesome.

Mad Queen said...

Love your new blog title... the feet... gorgeous! What sweet sentiments... enjoy the journey and not the destination is another good one. I love my kids but they make me crazy too... mostly after 7:00pm... that is when my melting point starts... I loose that patience and I am caught saying "I'm done" about 100 times...done for the day. But another day starts with fresh hugs and sleepy faces with tangled hair and I love them all over again. Thanks for the sweet reminders. You are awesome.

Melynda said...

I love your post! All these thoughts have been on my mind lately...it just seems to go by to fast, somtimes it's hard to just stop and enjoy. And my planner looks just like yours...I have to focus through the scribbles to try and see what is going on that day.

Jessica Brown said...

Wow that made me a laugh and cry! I love the way you write, and that was from the heart. Thanks for those words! And thanks for the reminder to enjoy even what seem to be the cruddy things, because they sure make for funny stories! Your poor Ugh boots!

Anny said...

My name is Anny and I found your blog last month. I have 5 little wild cuties myself and have loved your wise and funny thoughts. My husband even graduated from BYU business school also. My blog is private but if ya want a look, my e-mail address is annyfranny@msn.com and i'll send you and invite.
Life sure is fun if you take time to enjoy it, thanks for doing that.

Marti said...

Yes-the days may drag, but the years will fly by!

little miss shortcake said...

such a sweet post!
you are so right - we really need to focus on the sweet little things, no matter how crazy our kids are. i was reading through my journal from when i was pregnant with kylie and it was such a good reminder about how much i was looking forward to being a mom (and how naive i was...)

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

the tears are rollin'. thanks for the reminder! I sure appreciated this post today.

little miss shortcake said...

i would totally recommend remember me? my SIL started it while we were in TX and she was laughing out loud every 5 minutes. she ended up bringing it home with her to finish.
another favorite book by sk is the undomestic goddess, but i do love all of hers.

Keri said...

Natalie. I am now sitting at my computer crying. It is soooo true what you said. I have such a hard time with my kids getting better. My only little girl turned 10 this past week. I hope I wont have any regrets. Well i already do. I wish I didnt care if my house was a mess or make things more simple. I really need to work on that. Thanks for the post and the reminder. It is truely one of my favorite posts ever.

Evelyn said...

So sweet- and so true, Natalie. I need to remember this too. It really is a short little while that we are able to have these fun experiences with our kids. Soon they are off to school and other such things. Thanks for the uplifting post!

Jay and Bec said...

Hi Natalie!! I am amazed that you found my blog!! You'll have to tell me what link we have in common!! I'm glad I found your comment, I haven't checked them in quite a while! Your kids are adorable, and so much bigger than I remember them! Heidi would love to see your little red head! I guess we MUST have those genes in our family too! All of my sibs have blogs, but they are all private. I will send you an email with their addresses so that they can send you an invite to look at theirs!! I'm so glad that we can keep in touch this way!!

Becca

Alicia said...

I loved your thoughts. I think staying present is one of the hardest things to do as a mom. Not thinking about that never ending to do list and just cherishing all that comes with this stage.