You have fasted and prayed for me. You have sent notes, emails and called me to offer kind words. Far away friends have sent me instant messages to check up on me. And, one awesome friend even sent me a box of BROWNIES. My true food love.
Friends who are close by have brought me flowers and thoughtful cards. They have fed my family dinner, and sent us home with extras for the week. They have listened and offered support. They have watched my kids for the afternoon.
I am so blessed.
Over the past little while, there has been a post bouncing around in the back of my head. When I think about it, it is a little funny to me. It is meant to be a tutorial on "What NOT to Say" to young moms with a handful of kids. Well intentioned people can say things that are a little offensive. So, this post was my way of handling that.
Instead, I'm going to share with you the most kind and gracious things you could say to someone who is going through the challenge of mothering. Consider this a "What TO Say" post.
Just a quick note here. It is puzzling to me why people are so quick to judge other people's families. Even strangers make it their business when they think a family is too chaotic, too big, too small, or perceived to be too easy. It's so common for others to opine on whether young couples are having kids too soon, or if they aren't having kids quickly enough. Sometimes, it's hard for others to hide their exuberance that they are not in your shoes. I don't know why it's so easy to place this judgement on others. But it happens all the time. Be more kind. Because you never know what people are really facing.
I didn't think of these things on my own. These words of encouragement have been said to me by all of you. I don't think any of you realize just how much I needed to hear these things. So, Thank you. I love all of you more than my luggage. And if you ever run into a busy mom who is surrounded by chaos, with more on the way, just use one of these lines and you can never go wrong. I promise.
*It is so fitting. What lucky, lucky kids.
*You are such good parents. This baby couldn't ask for a better home.
*Your kids are so cute. I am happy for you.
*I'll do whatever I can to help you.
*I am so proud of you.
*You are a teacher, the way you mother.
*I love big families!
*If anyone can do it, you can.
*You're managing four so well, you will rise to the challenge.
*I look at your family and I envy you! What a rich life!
And that concludes love week.
12 comments:
I HOPE I didn't offend by saying "you guys are like clock work!!" I am thrilled for you guys! I think the spacing is perfect.... it's not like you have millions of kids all over the house that you don't know how to handle!!! I too love big families! You're awesome!! COngrats again!!!
What a lovely post. Everyone is right. You will rise to the challenge and you will be blessed and strong because of the trials you have been facing. I am so glad you are surrounded by a support group! What would we do without friends and family?
Laura - no you didn't offend me at all! No worries. Thanks for your well wishes. :)
How insightful Natalie. It is good to be reminded of what feels good to hear. I really do think that baking baby is one lucky little soul to be coming to your family. Seriously. And...I'm a little jealous...but I won't get into that. But, don't you think it'd be cool if all the Hoopes families could have babies in 2009? We're working on it. :)
P.S. In response to your comment on my blogroll--I must tell you that it was your blog that inspired me. After I saw your "Blooging M.O." it got me thinking about linking my blogroll to a post. So, I have you to thank for solving what had turned into quite a blogging dilemma.
P.P.S. HAPPY VALETINE'S!
Oh Natalie. You are wonderful. i am so sorry you are having health problems. I wish I could help you .I have to say i just saw "New In Town" YOu sure are lucky to live where you do. I am happy for you that you are pg and having baby #5. I would love to say that. You and Drew are wonderful. Your kids are so cute. No wonder you are having more.
Natalie,
You are a very strong woman, and I know you will handle anything that comes your way with impressive grace and style ... and with a big grin and sense of humor too! It is true that you are very loved, so you need to make sure you ask for help when you need it and not feel like you need to do it all on your own all the time. Thanks for all you do and the example you set for me! I love you, and I say that with a smile and a wave, definitely not a hug. (;
I do look at your family and envy you! I think any family worth admiring has had a lot of hard work put into it.
Natalie I don't know how I missed that post but I did so I didn't know! Congratulations. I am thrilled for you and very jealous too. (o: I hope you're ok. Are you feeling really awful?? You guys have such a darling family and I know that you are an awesome mom. You will do so well with another one. Keep us posted on how you're doing- I hope the "health concerns" aren't too serious.
Amen to this post. Even though I am not a mom yet what you said needed to be said. We fall under the category of, how my heck you have been married almost 7 years and you don't have 4 kids yet!? I think people get way to concerned about what other people are doing instead of being concerned about what they are doing. You are a great mother and you have been in our prayers and hope you continue to keep getting better and we are so happy about the new little one on the way!
i have loved all of your posts this week. I'm so glad to hear that things are on the upswing with your health problems. Your family looks so great. I love Em's pig tails, amen to this post. Just yesterday a guy said something really really hurtful to me about my parenting and it was just a bad day, I wanted to smack him. Maybe I'll post about it.
P.S. Those strawberries look "delicious" as little Andrew would say.
CONGRATS Natalie! I have five too, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Who cares what anyone else thinks anyway!
Congrats Natalie! I have 5 too, and although it's a tough job, I wouldn't trade a single minute of the chaos! Who cares what other people think anyway!! They just don't know what their missing!
Post a Comment