You get the idea.
Enter:
Best Idea I Ever Stole Number Two: The Pokey Meal
First, cut up some healthy and delicious foods. Place them in the middle of the table and let your kids decide which ones they want. Next, give each child a toothpick so they can pick up the food pieces by poking them.
It may seem simple, but this idea is brilliant for so many reasons. Here's why I love it:
*It is fun and different from our usual "please use your fork" meal.
*The kids get excited to eat. They are enthusiastic about trying foods they normally frown upon thus making it possible to trick them into eating new and healthy things.
*This also works well when you need a light, easy dinner after a day at the lake and you just don't want to cook.
*I love to do this when the husband is out of town and I'm nearly out of groceries. Or I forgot to defrost the chicken. It's fun to come up with what we have.
Now, let me share with you some of the things we've used for our pokey meals...
apples
bananas
cantaloupe
grapes
peaches
nectarines
blueberries
strawberries
cucumbers
broccoli
carrots
cheddar, mozzarella and monterey jack cheese
deli ham, turkey, salami
(leftover) steak or chicken or fish
pickles
olives
I also offer them options for dipping such as yogurt, peanut butter, ranch dressing or poppy seed dressing. How fun is that?
This idea was shared with me by my friend Jamie. She does this for her kids and they enjoy it too. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with me, Jamie!
P.S. You probably won't have to do this in your family, but just in case, you may want to institute a strict these-toothpicks-are-for-food-not-for-hurting-your-sibling rule. You know, just in case.
3 comments:
So perfect. I can't wait to try this.
There is something about the choosing that kids love! I once did a cheese dip meal (think can of cheese soup) and they dipped everything- good and gross- in the soup.
What great ideas. You're a good mom. Keep it up.
Post a Comment