I have a lot of kids.
My house is noisy.
Everything can get out of control super speedy quick (Junie B Jones reference thrown in for your benefit.)
The messes and little people will take over if I'm not careful.
This requires that I find creative ways to make our home peaceful and efficient.
All with limited time, limited resources, and precious little energy.
I have found it.
I've found a way to motivate my kids to get along.
To do their jobs without being asked. To share. To show kindness.
It is: Positive Reinforcement.
This is not rocket science. I've always known this.
However, I needed to give them positive recognition in a more tangible way.
So, we use pebbles
| Our colorful pebbles in a big bin so they are easy to grab |
We use jars and a simple label to identify each jar for each child.
| Lovely jars for less than $1 at Michaels |
Here's how it works at our house:
When mom or dad notice a child doing something that makes the home more peaceful,
they receive a pebble in their jar.
Here are some examples of pebble-worthy behavior:
sharing
speaking kindly
showing love toward a sibling
making an effort not to fight
doing extra jobs to help
doing their own jobs without being asked
finishing their homework right after school
Once the jar is filled, that child gets a special 1-on-1 date with a parent.
Something simple - going to the library and then having some hot chocolate.
Staying up later than the other kids to play a game with mom and dad.
Going swimming at the YMCA.
An activity that doesn't cost money, but allows for quality time together.
| See our current progress? This is round two for our kids |
Ooooh, my kids just eat this up.
They LOVE it.
Some things to consider:
* The important thing about this system is this: It is all about positive reinforcement.
No pebbles are taken out for bad behavior.
Pebbles are only added in.
*Pebbles aren't received for merely doing their jobs (more on that in another post).
They receive pebbles at mom and dad's discretion.
The primary pebble-earning behavior is that which makes our home more peaceful.
When a child does his jobs quickly, quietly, and without being nagged,
this definitely contributes to the peace of our home.
In goes a pebble.
*After the prize has been earned, empty the jar and start all over.
Does it seem that I'm trying to trick my children into behaving? I promise you, that is not my intention. My goal with these little rituals is to cultivate in them the habits of kindness, graciousness, and self-discipline. So that my children will more naturally be polite, let others go first, show love to family members, and give up their chair to the person who is looking for a seat. They will see that being kind is more important than winning, than being right; more important than being the fastest or coming in first place.
When they make good choices at home, there is positive attention for doing so. They'll feel good inside. Ultimately, they'll be kind and good people outside the home, and as they're maturing into adulthood.
*Idea adapted from Family Fun magazine
7 comments:
Natalie! THANK YOU!! I think this is just what our family needs to try right now. We've done something similar, but I made the mistake of removing pebbles for bad behavior. (Which means one certain child always ends up with an empty jar...even owing me pebbles...)
I love the pictures, the thorough explanation, the real-life examples, and most of all, the testimonial!
Hooray for positive reinforcement!!! (P.S. -- if you have your own jar, go put a pebble in it right now, for helping to make Amy's life more peaceful.)
I totally saw that article in the Family Fun magazine while I was at the doctor's office, and I almost tore it out! I didn't, but it has been in the back of my mind for forever.
I love what you are doing! I love that it centers around positive reinforcement. And those jars are so cute! I really need to do something like this. I think I need to work it in with my chore chart somehow, because I have spent way to much time and cultivated way too much drama with that chore chart.
I love that picture of your kids on your blog. So perfect!
I love this! You are brilliant and should write a book with all your great ideas.
It's official. You are the cutest mom ever.
That is genius! How do you come up with all these great ideas? where did yoy get the pebbles? They're the cutest I've ever seen.
Hey, Elizabeth! Thanks for your kind comment - I found the pebbles at Michael's. Love that place. A little too much...
Brilliant! I am going to copy you EXACTLY on this one. I've just been feeling like not such a good mom--getting mad at my kids for fighting just a wee-bit-too-much lately. Just what I need to turn things around. Thank you!!!
Post a Comment