Thursday, October 21, 2010

Getting D to the B: Healthy Snacks

Kids need healthy snacks. And so do their parents. 

It's a fact of life.

Do you ever feel like you get into a rut with snacks? Like you just need some new ideas?

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.


I like to streamline my food preparation. Here's how: Fix a big plate of fresh fruit and veggies at lunch time to be enjoyed by those who are at home during the lunch hour.

After lunch, wrap up the plate of leftover fresh produce and put it in the fridge.





When the kids come home from school, Out comes the plate of fresh fruit and veggies. The best part? It's already prepared! 

Add a bit more produce if necessary. Use this plate of gorgeous produce as the primary source of your snack. Supplement this plate of goodness with some of the ideas listed below. 

If your kids don't like it the first time, try again. And again. And then again. I have found that when I offer a variety of fruits and veggies on a consistent basis, each of my children will eat them. 

Here are some of the after school snacks we like at our house.

Veggies with ranch dip
Fruit with yogurt dip
Low-fat cheese with whole grain crackers
Peanut butter on Ritz crackers or celery. Don't forget the raisins
Popcorn (great source of fiber - just don't use the gross over-buttered flavor)
Applesauce with Saltine crackers
Low fat vanilla yogurt with home made granola
Greek yogurt drizzled with honey and sunflower seeds or chopped almonds
Dried fruit (low in sugar, please) with nuts and cheese slices
Cottage cheese with pineapple
Wheat toast with nut butter or apple butter
Hummus with celery, carrots, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, and wheat pitas
Toasted whole wheat English muffins with tomato sauce and melted cheese

For special treats or Friday afternoons:
Hot cocoa and pretzels
Skim milk and home made oatmeal cookies
Pudding and graham crackers
Pizza Ritz crackers

Lastly, I have followed a food blog for some time called Meet Me In Kitchen.  The author is an amazing cook and mother of young kids. And, wow, she eats so healthy (with the addition of a few baked goodies each week). Go to her blog for healthy snack ideas. Or amazing healthy breakfast options. I mean it. Click the link. She's an inspiration. Go on. You won't be sorry.

6 comments:

Kris said...

I needed this snack list for ME! I am loving the D to the B.

monica said...

yummy snack ideas. i'm craving them all right now.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the snack ideas. Sounds yummy.

Jessica Brown said...

You mean I can't feed my kids fruit snacks every time they need a snack? Darn! I'm so bad at getting out the healthy stuff, which is surprising considering the household I grew up in. Thanks so much for posting this. I really needed that.

Laura said...

I love all these ideas! I do something like the pebble thing- with stars- but like your idea better!

Laura said...

P.S. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the pictures! YOu guys are so cute! What a beautiful family!!