Thursday, January 10, 2013

Head Not Yet Above Water



I feel a mid-life crisis coming on, guys.  I need to express some gratitude right now so that I don't feel too sorry for myself. I'm perilously close to diving into the Nutella. Ever feel that way?  Here are some things that made me smile recently.

*Last night was a doozy. While I was in the middle of burning dinner, Emily was emptying out all her beads on the floor (yes, the kit with 11,000 beads). Andrew was sledding on the dangerous hill outside, and everyone else was fighting. At this very moment, Sarah decided to wet her pants resulting in a huge puddle on the kitchen floor. I got mad. Lost my patience. After I calmed down, I spoke with Sarah. Here was our conversation:

Me - "Sorry mommy got mad."
S - "Sorry for peeing in Sarah's shoes. Sorry bout that."
Mom - "It's OK. Can we be friends?"
Sarah - "Ah course!"

*At FHE, we were talking about people we know who need some service, and what we could do for them. The kids came up with great ideas. Megan said, "We need to be In-anna-mous."  You mean anonymous, Megan?

*During a recent dinner conversation, Drew and I were asking James about an issue he was having at school. His sarcastic answer: "Geez, this isn't the Spanish Admonition!"  Admonition/Inquisition ... same thing.

*After my parent's recent visit, my mom asked Emily if we would come visit them soon. "Um, I don't think so. We have lots of disabilities," was her reply. I think she meant responsibilities. But lots of disabilities would prohibit a visit as well, I suppose. :)

5 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

They just express it better than we do, don't they?

Jessica Brown said...

Thanks for the laugh. I'm still laughing. Sorry for your horrible moment. I gotta admit, I love when other Moms are willing to post a few negative moments, so that when they happen to me, instead of crying I can laugh and think "It's ok, this is happening to other Mom's out there".

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post Natalie! You have a beautiful family :) Your comments made me laugh and I am still smiling, thanks for brightening my morning. I was just telling a friend about you yesterday and what a wonderful neighbor you were. I'll never forget you. Smile! Gina from Washington

Kathryn said...

So cute. So real. Thanks for the stories.

Jen said...

Good stuff. Chaos always happens in the middle of burning dinner.