The other night, Drew had to work late. He's had lots of late nights recently.
And, as it always has a tendency to do, dinner time crept up again and our cupboards were bare. Grocery shopping is just not my favorite thing. In fact, I put it off as long as I can - but that deserves it's own post.
Not only did we have no food, but everything I could think of to eat sounded positively gross. The only thing that I could think of that didn't revolt me was salad and bread sticks from Olive Garden. So, I justified in my mind taking myself and the kids there for carry out. After I ordered our dinner, the manager took the receipt out of the cash register, crumpled it up, and threw it away.
"Where do I pay? Do I pay here?" I asked.
"Um, you can if you want to," was his reply. But he didn't give me the total. I had my money in my hand and asked again,
"So, how much do I owe you?"
"Well, weren't you the lady I spoke to on the phone earlier? She sounded pretty upset" he replied.
"No. That wasn't me. I didn't call. So, how much do I owe you?" I asked.
He said, "Don't worry about it. Today's your lucky day."
"ARE YOU SERIOUS?" I exclaimed! He looked over at my kids and said, "It's got to be hard with three kids, right?"
I thanked him profusely and regretted that I hadn't ordered dessert. Not really. But I did secretly hope that I would run into him again at Olive Garden some time in the future when I have four kids rather than three. Maybe he'll be generous again.
A few days later, Drew went to Great Harvest to pick up a loaf of their delectable Honey Whole Wheat bread. We don't do this all the time, but it's a fun treat occasionally. As he approached the store, he saw that it was closed, but there were still employees inside. One of them opened the door and apologized to Drew, telling him they were closed. Drew was disappointed.
"Why, what did you need?" asked the employee.
"A couple of loaves of your Honey Whole Wheat," said Drew. So the employee went inside and returned with two loaves of the bread. He gave it to Drew free of charge. They couldn't ring it up because the store was closed.
Looks like we hit the jackpot this week!
P.S. So sorry that all of my posts have been about food lately. I can't help it - being pregnant makes me hungry all of the time!
6 comments:
Oh, you are making me so hungry! And I am not pregnant. That is so great to know there are such nice people in the world! I love it. That man must have a frazzled wife or mother. That is all I can say.
Hey what about details on the date with Drew?
It's so great to be reminded that there is such generosity in the world! Some people are genuinely good. You are good people, and deserve these happy chance encounters!
Lucky!
wow, that is the best luck! How nice of those people. I want to be nice like that.
You always hear about how the people in the mid-west are so nice. I guess it's true! Lucky!
Wow it is good to know that there are still great people out there. Living in Utah I tend to get a little frustrated at the lack of customer service, the mean driving and so forth. So it's good to know its out there!
Post a Comment