Friday, April 27, 2007

My Prediction


Have you noticed that there are lots of garage sales in the Spring? In theory, they sound so ideal. Go to a garage sale. Find a great something-or-other in good condition that you've needed for awhile. In the mean time save some money.

Recently, there was a ginormous garage sale here held at the junior high (through a community education department). It was hardcore. They raised over $30,000. And I heard people were pretty ruthless. Shoving. Pushing. All in the name of buying something used for a few bucks.

I have never been able to do this. When I go to garage sales, I can't get past all the stuff that just looks like other people's junk. I'm not savvy enough to get there early or shove other people out of the way. Let's face it. When you're not a savvy garage sale shopper then it just becomes a stressful experience, and I tell myself I'd rather pay (gasp) retail prices in a clean, nicely lit Target store. Or even WalMart.

Someone please tell me how to perfect this art. I know it is an art, but I just can't seem to do it. I am a purger. I get rid of stuff every couple of months. Clothes, toys, things we don't use. I predict I will never have enough junk to hold a decent garage sale. Since there seems to be a market out there for used people's junk, I can't decide if this is good or bad.

3 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

I missed you! Funny you should say that. I have only bought one thing at a garage sale. It was an old office chair, the nice kind you see in Pottery Barn, but authentic and totally hashed. It sat in my garage for two years wiating to be refinished. I threw it away two weeks ago.

On the other hand we are holding our first ever garage sale tomorrow. Our HOA is doing one. But we only have a few big items to sell..sorry. You will have to get your help elsewhere.

D-dawg said...

I actually love going to garage sales and trying to find things. I usually just get furniture and paint it. I used to get good baby stuff though. It is tough work, you have to go to LOTS of them until you find something good.

Mindy said...

I am a terrible garage saler. I rarely find anything good. But on a few rare occasions I have found the most amazing purchases that have become legendary in my heart.

I don't know if they have these organizations everywhere, but two times a year here they have this huge sale put on by the Twins/Triplets organization. It's held at a church, and all the things sold there are by mothers of twins and triplets. I have a hook-up and get to go to the special preview night, and it is amazing! There are so many children's items in amazing condition. And tons of rarely used clothing because all of these mothers had to buy three of everything! I have found all sorts of stuff there, so I think it would be worth looking up in your area.