Just a Few Changes After:
I painted all the outside trim a neutral color. And after a couple of tries, I found a dark, dark blue color for the front door. (Yes, this is a Fall wreath, but I haven't found a Summer one I like yet.)
We also hope to change some of the landscaping and add potted plants to the front porch and more flowers to the garden in front. One thing at a time...
The Living & Dining Rooms (and Glimpse of Kitchen)Before:
We painted nearly every wall of the main floor, including the stair railing and the front door. I also found a more modern light fixture for the entry way. Thanks to Costco for the rug.
I also changed the curtains for an improved version from one of my favorite stores, Z Gallery (see right).
We painted the deep brown wall and the cream wall (behind the couch). I'm still in search of one more frame that is just the perfect size - in case you've noticed the asymmetry with the pictures on the ledges. I'd also love some flowers/plants and other accessories for the freshly painted end tables. Again, one thing at a time.
The dining room (on the right) is hard to see, but we changed the light fixture from a hideous 1980's brass fixture to this new one. I also painted this room and traded the industrial slat-type blinds for these curtains (the ones Andrew spilled ketchup on). There is a half wall from the kitchen to the dining room that we are planning to knock out, which means more pictures will come, so stay tuned! We'll move our main table in there with a rug underneath it someday.
My poor photography skills fail to do justice to her room. The paint color is called Barely Pink, and in person, it really doesn't look this pink. But the light from outside shines through the curtains, making it look more pink in this picture.
Notice the cute card I have framed on her dresser? It was made for Megan when she was born by my super talented friend, Mindy. It is so cute! I've always loved it, so I had it framed!
I don't have any before shots of her room. The paint was a bright salmon color and the curtains were yellow. Nothing I couldn't fix :)
I absolutely LOVE this quilt that was made for Andrew by my sister, Heather. She is so talented and has such an eye for putting together fabrics in a way that make the finished product look beautiful. She has made quilts for each of my kids. They have become such treasures to me. I hope she has time to make one for our next baby (hint, hint, Heather)! I keep telling her she has to start her own business.
I don't have before photos of Andrew's room either. It was wallpapered half way up the wall with train wallpaper and the top half was a very loud blue. We wanted a much more subdued feeling for a nursery.
His cozy crib.
James's Room:
Once again, no before photo. When we moved it, the walls were as dark blue as the carpet, if not darker. It was like a cave!
I always pictured a marigold color to accent the red & blue decor we have for his room.
Our Room - A Work in Progress:
11 comments:
WOW! Natalie I am so impressed with all of the work you guys have done! It is amazing the difference some paint will make! And all of the decor and colors in the kids rooms looks so well together. The whole house looks so good! Painting is hard but can be so fun too. So you did all of the trim on the outside of your house??? I need to do that. We want to hire people, but we were just saying the other day that we could just do it ourselves. As far as what to hang on the walls... mirrors are always nice and can be cheaper than art. We have a store here called HOme Goods that has great wall stuff, or Ross or TJ Maxx have cheaper stuff too. Good luck with the rest of your projects...I really like everything you've done so far!
Natalie,
You have done an amazing job! I seriously don't know where you get all of the energy, but I am super impressed. I love your decorating style! I will think of some ideas for your blanks walls! Keep up the good work.
Heather
You're kids' rooms are so cute! Love them. And the rest of the house looks great, too!
Natalie, the house looks great. I love the colors you have used in all the rooms. We used Barely Pink in Kate's room! As far as the blank walls, I am not sure. We have some angles as well and are still working on what to do with them. You could always take your own pics of some nature or something and have them printed at Winkflash or Snapfish. They can actually print them on canvas. I have thought about this, but haven't done it. Sounds neat, though. You could also use some tall plants to add color and contrast to the wall. When I want some decorating ideas, I pick up a Crate and Barrell or Pottery Barn catalog. Of course, I try to do it much cheaper on my own. Good luck decorating. When you're done, please come and help me!
Callie
It's so fun to get to see your house! I love it! Everything looks great. I almost got Andrew's same bedding for Jackson, but I still haven't decided what to do. We just put his crib together, but he hasn't used it yet. And Lexi's room is green and pink with white furniture, too. She even has those same Pottery Barn curtains rolled up just like in your picture! I had the same problem with the curtains making everything look pink. Anyway, your house is darling! You guys will have to come see ours on the way to California...just a few weeks away!
Thanks for your comments, everyone! Denae - yes, I did paint the outside trim myself. It was so easy, but that's mostly because we didn't have a lot of it to do. Do you have a second story that has trim to paint? I was also thinking of mirrors for some of those spaces - I'll go check out the Home Goods store we have here. Callie, that's too funny that you chose the same paint color for Kate! And, Judy, I'd love to see your place someday. I can't believe the CA trip is almost here!
Darling House Natalie! Can you help me decorate my house when I grow up?
I love the look and feel of your home, Natalie. All the colors are just so beautiful and inviting. I love your use of lamps. We don't have a single one in our house. Where do you get most of your lamps? And it's so true that our bedrooms are the last to get any attention. I hope to do something with my bedroom this summer, but we'll see.
A lot of the homes here have the wood moldings, too. We're really lucky that ours are white. I agree that it contrasts with wall colors better. And this is a silly question, but when you painted your front door, what finish did you use? That blue color is so beautiful!
Mindy - the Home Depot guy suggested I use a high gloss finish, so I believe I used Satin since it was such a small but high traffic area I was going to be painting. And, thanks so much - I'm glad you like the color!
OK Natalie, Wow! I have definitely been one of those people who is excited to see these pictures. I just LOVE everything you've done. The front door really freshens up the look of the house. The kids rooms are so inviting and appealing. I love your front room decor too. And it was so fun to see that Scott Soderberg wedding picture hanging in your room.
Now that we're finally moving into our own space, it was fun to get your pictures. I'm sure I'll have many questions in the weeks to come!
I know I am way behind the times on this, but I was just looking at your pics again. I love that chocolate brown wall in your LR. As for how to decorate I was thinking about a grouping of pics. Like 4 or 6 smaller ones maybe 8x10. Maybe you could take pages out of an art book and frame them, or some leaves. Or even, like Jen G did and just frame some pretty peices of paper that coordinate. Maybe in blacks and whites. It would be inexpensive yet pretty and dramatic.
Post a Comment