I did a little bit of a tribute to Drew last week. There are many things I love about him. Let me list my favorite things about him as a dad:
- He genuinely loves to see his kids.
- He is quick to laugh and joke around with all of us.
- Anything Drew tries to do, he does well. Especially as a father.
- He takes better care of the kids than I do. I can always trust that they'll be very well taken care of when he's in charge. (Me: hey kids, let's watch another movie and you can have some chocolate milk. Drew: hey kids, let's go outside and then we'll have a snack of raisins and apples).
- Last night, even after travelling across the ocean, experiencing extreme jet lag, and having had a very intense work week, he took over feeding the kids dinner and put Andrew to bed.
- He brought me chocolates from Germany. Anybody knows that a good dad is someone who makes the mom happy :)
- Drew solves lots of problems around the house and with the kids that seem to stump me.
- He builds the kids' self confidence by teaching them how to do new things and acquire new skills.
- Drew is an insightful father and knows the things we need to do that are best for our kids, whether large or small.
- Drew takes the time to make each child feel important by spending time with them.
- When the kids hear the garage door open at the end of the day, they start to cheer, "Yay! Daddy's here!"
- When Drew's away for work or other duties, each one of them says, "Mom, I wish Daddy were here." Andrew walks over to Drew's closet, tugs on his shirts and says, "Daddy! Daddy!"
- Our home just feels better and more complete when Drew is here.
I'm also so thankful for my sweet dad. I have so many fun memories of him. Here's a glimpse into why my dad is so great:
- I think it's awesome that he's half Swiss.
- He loves his kids and grand kids deeply.
- His dedication to the gospel and love for the scriptures is very apparent.
- He is talented in his expression of music, particularly religious hymns when sung or played on the piano. I loved growing up hearing him play the piano on a Sunday afternoon. Or hearing him sing with my brothers. He has a beautiful singing voice.
- He is a good listener.
- He loves good food. It's fun to hear him tell of things he ate while visiting far away places.
- He also loves to eat interesting food (a slice of Swiss cheese on top of a chocolate chip cookie, for instance).
- When doing yard work or other types of work around the house, he wears trucker's hats. It's endearing and makes me laugh a little.
- He is very helpful and will run any errand at almost any time of day.
- He taught me how to drive. And I'm a little bit of a zippy driver, I might add.
- When we were younger, he'd take us to 7-11 for a Slurpee run on a hot, hot summer day.
- In junior high, he drove me and my friends by the house of the boys we had crushes on.
- In high school, sometimes he'd pick me up in the front of the school driving a really cool car, and it would make all the kids think that I was just so cool.
- When he'd take me to my dentist or orthodontist appointments, he'd take me to get some yummy food before taking me back to school.
- As you can see, he is very patient and is good at putting up with a lot.
- He's rescued me many times when I've had car trouble.
- He gives the best hugs.
- He loves the Savior. It has always been tender for me to look over at him during church and see a tear streaming down his face.
- I'm so grateful for my dad and I love him a lot!
And now, for another wonderful Dad. David is the best father in law a girl could ask for. Here's why he's special to me:
- He has a fantastic sense of humor. Once you understand David's humor, you can't help but love him even more.
- He is a wonderful teacher. (He taught me how to water ski!)
- He is one of the most thoughtful people. He always looks for the person that could use a little extra attention, love or encouragement. And he gives it generously.
- David is a sweet grandpa. Once the grand kids arrive, it's not long before he's holding one of them while walking and humming gently, or is on the floor playing with them, reading a story to them, or taking them out to go sledding.
- He has a way of winking and smiling that calms others and makes them feel good to be around him.
- He loves nature, traveling, and new adventures.
- He appreciates the simple things in life, and is very pragmatic.
- He is faithful and strong in his devotion to the Lord.
- He is someone who we all look to for guidance and advice.
- He actively seeks for ways to let the talents of others shine.
- I love David, and can't wait to see him again!
5 comments:
Imagine what kind of men James and Andrew will turn out to be with all those great examples.
I have to agree on your dad and Drew and from what I see of Drew, his step Dad must be pretty amazing as well.
And I DO remember those zippy cars!
Wait...I'm crying! :) That was a really sweet post! And what a fun surprise to have Drew home a bit early!!
How great to have Drew suprise you and come home early. When does he have to leave again? I liked your lists about your dads. There's so much good in all of them.
What a sweet post, Natalie. You are well deserving of being surrounded by such greatness!
Awesome post Natalie. I loved to hear your thoughts about Drew, Fred, and David Daddy. That was uplifting!
Post a Comment