Saturday, September 08, 2007

Let's Be Honest

The day has come.

I have decided that it's time to give up on being a self-proclaimed semi-recovered wannabe-perfectionist. As I look around and take inventory of my house, I realize that I need to be more honest about things. It has been a cathartic process. What am I talking about, you ask? Let's be honest while taking a walk through my house:


First of all, why should we make beds? We just have to sleep in them all over again at night. By the time I get around to making the beds these days, it's only a couple of hours before bed time. So, why not just leave them unmade the whole stinkin' day?






And has anyone ever realized that it's just a lot easier to leave the vacuum out all the time? Why put the vacuum away? That's right, just place it next to the end table over there by the couch. A feature of the room and yet practical at the same time. Honestly, I've left it out for so long, I've forgotten if I'm about to start or if I just finished. Well, ok. Since I'm being honest here, I'm fairly certain that I didn't just finish vacuuming, and that I should have started days ago.




Want to know another scary truth? Let's start by asking the question 'What can happen in 42 seconds?' A LOT. While reading the last few lines of an email, I thought 'I know it's really quiet right now, but I'm almost done reading this. Then I'll go find my kids.' DUH. Without going into tooooo many details, please refer to the picture on the left to meet two of my new best friends.




In all honesty, a freshly laundered shirt is just much easier to use to wipe dirty hands clean - if you're a kid. So, forget the conveniently located roll of paper towels in the kitchen. Or the eye-level-hanging dish towel. Oh, did you notice the big basket of overflowing napkins on the table? Huh. Neither did I. That's ok. My shirt works. Thanks for handing me the napkin, mom, but my hands are clean already.



Next ugly truth: I throw away my kids art work. AND I don't feel bad about it. It's true. The oldest two come home with so many papers and notes and crafts. We save a few of them. But the others I just pitch. Otherwise, my house would be overrun with all the papers! What I don't understand is, even though I place the art work in the garbage can rather surreptitiously (buried under other trash), my kids always find it. WHY do they dig through the trash? And then I hear the high pitched, "MOOOOMMMM, WHY did you throw away my drawing??" So I try to distract them. "Huh? WHAT? HOW did THAT get in THERE??? That's too bad. Hey, isn't it about snack time???"


Ok, this is another sad truth. For the past few years, I have been an avid reader of parenting books. After recently reading the Twilight series, I realized that I need to read for enjoyment more often. I'm going through serious Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse withrdawal. If you are a fan, you have to read some of the reviews my friends gave Eclipse. Here and here. Totally funny!


Now can anyone tell me a really good book to read? Please? I want your top picks - your favorites. That way, I can read with my new found free time since I no longer make beds or vacuum.

14 comments:

Kelly said...

So great, Natalie. Although...I'm not sure if I'm completely convinced that you could really give up on home perfection. Isn't your mother-in-law coming to town today? :) Kidding! She's coming to HELP you clean!

I wish I had some good recommendations for you. The last reading I did was when I had 5 days away from the kids when Jared graduated. Twilight and New Moon. I haven't even made it to Eclipse yet, but after reading those great reviews, I don't think I need to, because I want to know what happens in THE END and I think I'm better off reading the next two right in a row, a year from now when the next one comes out, and when I find some time!

Laura said...

I am so glad you have realized you can't do it all with 4 kids under the age of 6! I think you might be losing your mind in the next few months! I think you are supermom for having your kids so close together! I think having quality time with them OVER a clean house is MOST important!

PS- Great reads-
Cold Mountain
Life of Pi
The Kite Runner -All great ones!

D-dawg said...

aaaah ,it is all so true Natalie, I hate making beds and putting the vacume away... so why do it???? I also throw away all artwork and it is so freeing!!! Goodbye piles!!

The last book I read was Memoirs of Geisha... and I liked it a lot. Also, loved the book Cage of Stars that I read last year.

KickButtMommy said...

Beds-I completely agree. Artwork-I thought I was the only mean mommy. Glad to hear it. And I say the exact same thing "Oh, I didn't mean for THAT to end up in there." Vaccuum yes. Carpet stains-My sister in law and I have agreed carpet is the biggest waste ever. We need to rip it all out.

Jenny G said...

You have some very good points. It's so tiring to try and keep things up...even with 1 kid!

I was very much into "The Diary of Anne Frank" last summer. I also read one about the people that helped to hide her as well, but I can't remember the name. And a relaxing read that I just finished is "A Rather Lovely Inheritance." Enjoy your new found time :)

About Me said...

Natalie, I think your blog is great! I love your honesty! It makes me realize to just enjoy Lily right now before my life gets too hectic! A good book that I will recommend is called The Alchemist. I think you will enjoy it. It is a very easy, quick read.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the dark side, honey. Cleaning is over-rated.
Right now I'm reading Wicked - kinda weird if you ask me. Next on my list is Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen.

little miss shortcake said...

I don't clean, I simply pick-up the downstairs. Nobody ever sees the rooms. I NEVER make beds - if I did I wouldn't be able to find my "sweet spot" that is your perfect place to sleep. I named mine, The Hollow. And my vacuum is always out and I need to get a holster for my dustbuster. I throw away Kylie's artwork. If it's really good, I will scan it or take a picture. I even went through all of my childhood trophies and stuff and did the same.

Some favorite books that I can read over and over again -
Any Sophie Kinsella book - love her
These is my Words
Anne of Green Gables Series
Little House Series
(yes, I love to read chldrens stories)

Mad Queen said...

Okay... I love seeing the beds unmade... my girls just got a beautiful bunkbed set and I splurged with Pottery Barn bedspreads and they are a PAIN IN THE REAR to make! Tucking stuff with a bedrail is just too much. We are going "unmade" these days too.

Oh, and good books... the kind you can't put down?

The Glass Castle -Jeanette Walls
AWESOME... and CRAZY

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan -Lisa See... another good read

Have fun! I started reading a few years ago... Mom's need more down time than we give ourselves. Love your site, it is my favorite!

kim dance said...

I crack up everytime I read your blog! Seriously!
So you got a bunch of suggestions for books. Let me tell you, if you want another series of "mindless entertaining" books like the twilight series (I read each in less than 24 hours...I LOVED them), try "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants". I loved them just as much...well, almost as much as the Twilight series. They each took about 24 hours to read (if you are able to totally neglect your children like I do when I'm entranced in a book) and don't read one without having the next available at the library! They really are great!

Evelyn said...

Natlie- I think you should write a book with your new found free time! You are so funny and thoughtful. I am also going through Twilight withdrawals! I read the books after reading your blog and I'm sooooo sad that it's over! I recommend "A Thousand Splendid Suns" It's really good.

Cheesy Mama said...

You know the troubles I have cleaning. My house is straight most of the time. It's clean once in a blue moon.
The only bed I make in our house is ours. At least one room in the house will be straight. I tell the boys to do the best job they can making their bed. Lots of times I am tempted to redo it for them, but I don't. And if they forget, well then I remind them to do in the next morning.
Napkins, in our house, are just table decoration too. Ben will wipe his face with his hand then wipe his hand on his shirt. I then wipe his shirt with a napkin and get out the stain stick. However, I remember doing this when I was a kid, so I can't be too hard on him.
I keep only the meaningful artwork. I put it in a bin under my bed and when it gets full, I go through it and edit out again.
As far as books go, I just finished this book called The Next Thing on My List. I can't recall the author, but I did enjoy the book. And I just started a book last night called The New Yorkers.
Well, that's all I've got.
Don't worry about the house. It will get clean someday.

Anonymous said...

So funny Natalie! I am a great supporter of throwing stuff away too! I also try to bury the kids' things under other trash so I don't get caught, but the kids still find them occasionally and Kai has started instructing me to not throw his things away. "Sure thing Kai!" tee-hee.

As for good reads, I'm wrapping up the Harry Potter series right now. I haven't done anything BUT read HP for the last couple weeks. JK Rowling really is such a talented writer! I didn't expect to like the books as much as I have, and to be honest, I think a lot of it has to do with watching the movies (boo). The books are so much better. If you want more recommendations, check out the Murray family link on my blog. My friend Kari is a reader, and I've loved every book she's suggested to me! She has a bunch of posts entitled "summer reads". . .

Mindy said...

Natalie! I really need to start throwing my kids stuff away. I want to, I need to, but it is so hard for me. I'm such a pack rat. You all have inspired me.

I also like the book, "These Is My Words". But I'm like you in that I only want a SUPER FANTASTIC book to read. So I'll definitely be jotting down these suggestions, too.