Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Andrew's Surgery

On March 11th, we celebrated our 9th Wedding Anniversary. And we'll always remember year number nine because that was also the day that Andrew had surgery. He had a second set of tubes put in and his adenoids taken out. Although it is an outpatient surgery, we stayed overnight because Andrew is so young.

Here he is, happy and spunky before the procedure. If he only knew...

It went quickly and well. And I didn't like it one bit. I held Andrew while they put him out and they rushed me out of the room so they could give him more anesthetics and get started. I was a wreck.

Here he is afterwards. Naturally, he slept for a long time. Before I took this picture, I held him for a while in a different recovery room. Then they moved us here, where we stayed for the night. Andrew in his bed and me in my chair. Truthfully, I've had worse nights. Anyone who has had a newborn knows what I'm talking about.



But at 10 pm, he got his second wind and was able to eat. Finally! He had to wait all day, poor guy. Let's hear it for mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, and all the popsicles you can eat. In case you're wondering where he's looking, he is watching his favorite DVD of Scooby Doo.

(Scooby Doo. I just don't get it. Why do kids love it so much? Another post, another day...)




I know that Andrew keeps me on my toes, and I rarely post about his sweet side. But he was so great this whole day. Even though he was hungry and in pain. All he needed was a hug, and he was peaceful and content. He cooperated and didn't try to tear out his IV. And when we were able to go home, he was so excited. Very much the sweetheart I know and love.

(Now, can we please have no more tubes, surgeries or ear infections? Please?)

22 comments:

Allison said...

Hey Natalie-
Remember how I was telling you that my James is your Andrew? Does that make sense? Well, he also had TWO sets of tube surgeries- crazy. And the second set took him through that constant ear infection stage. He occasionally still gets one (more than my other kids), but no big deal. Hang in there honey!

Laura said...

He is so cute! Poor little guy! No fun at all!

Cheesy Mama said...

Can't imagine having to go through that at all. Glad he's doing better.

little miss shortcake said...

glad the surgery went well - it is so sad to see kids in the hospital, but they always look so cute with their little hospital gowns on.

for my new blog background - we borrowed the idea from leeloublogs.blogspot.com. those are free and really cute, but they didn't have the colors i wanted to match my blog banner, so i had my computer geek husband tweak it a little bit.

Anonymous said...

What a sweetie! Even though he wasn't feeling great, he probably enjoyed the one-on-one attention. Alex is always so sweet and lovable when he's sick - I hate that he's sick, but love that he SITS STILL! Anyway, give the boy hugs and kisses. Glad to hear he's okay.

Mindy said...

I am so sorry about Andrew's surgery! Being a mom every day is a tough job, but when you have the big things added in, it can really wear you down. But you are so tough!

Andrew looks adorable in his hospital gown! I agree with some other comments that even though it's sad when your children are sick or in the hospital, that is when they become the super sweetest! It must be the one-on-one, but they just love you so much and it reminds me what sweet little guys they are. Good luck with the recovery!

Brooke said...

Surgeries with little kids is the worst. I still remember that feeling when they walked away with Matthew and took him from me down the hallway. I'm so grateful that Andrew did so well and that this will lead to better health for him. What a sweetheart!

Chad and Sara said...

I'm glad everything went well and you are all back at home. Hope you give Andrew lots of ice cream cause thats the best part of having a surgery like that.

Jen said...

I am sure you were a wreck. I can't even imagine. Glad all is well and that it is over!

KickButtMommy said...

Glad he is okay. He does look like a perfect angel. When sweet little Hadley had her tubes at 11 months it was very traumatic for me. She was so miserable coming out of anesthesia. Hope he is back to his old self soon! :)

Kelly said...

Give Andrew a big hug from all of his cousins! And here's to staying wel...

Britt said...

Poor little guy. Any sort of hospital experience is no fun for anyone, especially little people. I'm glad things went well and that he's okay. That popsicle looks pretty tasty too.

D-dawg said...

I'm so sorry for all you've gone through witht the tubes and infections etc. Lexi and I know a little about that and it is the worst. I hope he'll be feeling better now for a long time. And I'm so glad he was so good! That is a huge blessing.

Teuscher said...

these events make you grateful for the resiliency of children and the blessings of medical knowledge!

Melynda said...

I am sure you were a wreck! I can't imagine how hard that was! He sure looks cute in his little hospital "gown". I am glad that everything went okay!

Keri said...

Not the place I am sure you wanted to spend your 9th anniversary but I am sure you are glad everything went well. At least you were able to be together. I hope this means no more ear infections. Poor little boy. I am sure he just loved the mash potatoes and mac and cheese. my kids would eat that every night if I let them. Really. Glad it all went well. Now, get a babysitter adn celebrate your anniversary. I am kidding. Easier said then done. Believe me. I know.

Keri said...

By the way, my boys LOVE scooby doo too. That is what Dylan watched most of the time in the hospital. For my family it started with me. I loved it as a kid and made the mistake of renting them. THey are not like the old ones. My kids are now addicted. I guess it could be worse.

Rachael said...

It does make me feel somewhat less anxious that there's another Andrew out there in the world, still in love with his pacifier :) So glad the surgery went well... I hate the part though when they go under. Even Greg got misty eyed.

Jeni and Dave said...

I'm glad everything went well. Hopefully, he'll be a "new" Andrew -- feeling so much better. Way to go Mom for staying on top of things.

Jessica Brown said...

I'm so glad thats over, but sorry you had to go through that. Hospital visits for little ones are always scary. We'll keep him and you guys in our prayers as always!

Mad Queen said...

BEEN THERE DONE THAT! My kids are the king and queens of ear infectinos... they have all had their adnoids removed and at least 2 sets of tubes. Emma and Jonas are on set 3. When Emma had her adnoids removed the doctor said "these were the biggest adnoids I have ever seen... I don't know how she could breath, they blocked 90% of her airway! But I have to say I LOVE the tubes.... they really keep my kids HEALTHY! God bless the person who invented those. Hooray for Andrew! and Hooray for you good mommy for surviving your baby being put to sleep...it is scary.

lani said...

I just want to hug your little Andrew! What a trooper! It puts everything into perspective very quickly when they are sick or hurt, and then the millions of messes these little guys create don't seem quite as annoying :) You are amazing--here's hoping for a quick recovery and no more sicknesses!