Friday, March 21, 2008

Blogging Identity Crisis

There are lots of reasons for my recent lapse in posting.

~Attempting to get through my To Do list. (*snort* I gave up on that one pretty quickly.)
~Stewing over post ideas. Yes, I pre-meditate many of my posts. I know you do too. Admit it.
~Andrew's surgery, which went well and I'll post about it soon.

But a big reason for the lull is because I'm going through a blogging identity crisis. I'm trying to decide - What kind of a blogger do I want to be? Do I want to post ideas or tips? Should I share recipes? Oo, ooo, what about those themed days such as Wordless Wednesday, or Mouthwatering Monday? Do I want to continue to relate stories about my crazy days being a mother of four young kids? I don't want to go overboard on the mommy posts. But that is what gives me the most material! And never underestimate the power of randomness. Sometimes it's the random posts that are the best. I just want people to enjoy their stop at "Never a Dull Moment."

And don't even get me started on cooking blogs! That is my new favorite kind of blog! I've found some great ones, and each time I visit them, I get excited at the possibilities of good food in my house.

Here's what I know for certain: I want to blog so that I can keep in touch, document our life, learn new things, and laugh. I love discovering blogs of people I know. I love seeing pictures of their family; knowing what they're doing. I also like posts that speak to me. Bloggers who tap into human nature and highlight the universal feelings and experiences we share. Posts that make you say, "YES! That's totally how 'such and such' is." Posts that make you, well, laugh.

Also, what about the look of my blog? I am just so sick of it lately. I need a change. I've found a few blog designers that charge $50 or so to design a blog. Ouch. I change my mind too much for that.

Should I get rid of the links on the side? Is it just too cluttered? Or should I add more? I have a few blogs I lurk on - am I ready to fess up and add links to their sites?

Should I make my blog private?

And I'm having issues with my screen name. I was "moody blogger" for a while. But that didn't really fit me (don't say it, Drew). I don't want to do just my name, ya know? Any ideas?

Oh! The DECISIONS one must make!

Then there's you. The readers. Do I want to kick it up a notch and get linked in with all the site meters and other tricks that increase the traffic of my blog? Do I want to introduce myself to all the bloggers I've discovered and start commenting on their blogs, thus receiving comments from them? BUT... that requires a lot of upkeep. When you have more readers, you need to give them something to read. At least more often than once every two weeks. In addition, when you read more blogs there's the risk that you may feel obligated to comment. That takes time, and it adds up. Am I ready for that kind of a commitment? Or should I just keep things as they are?

I can tell when I'm spending too much time blogging. My husband jokingly says, "How's blogworld?"

And have you seen all the little blog awards and such out there? Like these? What are they all about? Obviously you have to install these little images on your blog yourself. So, do you just nominate youself as the recipient of these things?








So I'm just thinking out loud a bit. What about you? What has made you comfortable in your blogging skin?

21 comments:

Marti said...

Ditto! I know what you mean, Natalie. All tough decisions. I've just tried a bit of 'this and that' with my blog. I don't want it to be ALL about my ADORABLE children! Sometimes I'll throw in a recipe (okay-just once), sometimes I post my favorite things or something that catches my eye. I think you're doing good-don't change a thing! But if you do decide to-good luck!

little miss shortcake said...

i was just thinking about how boring my blogs always are and wishing i could be more witty and stick to a subject! but then i just got my "blog book" and it is a whole year of journaling, so i think i will just stick with my boring mom stuff.

for new looks for your blogs, try leeloublogs.blogspot.com or cutestblogontheblock.blogspot.com

they are free and cute!

Anonymous said...

You can be all of those things - no need to limit yourself to one type of post on a regular basis. Just blog about what's on your mind. IMO, that's what makes blogs interesting.

Email me about the blog design. Maybe you can be my guinea pig?

And please please please update us on Andrew's surgery.
H

Kelly said...

Natalie, whatever you need to see you through your blogging identity crisis, I'm here. Because I've come to rely on having you in the cyber world...your stories, your fun take on life, your humor. I have no advice as far as what direction to tell you to take, other than to say that I've loved each post you put up. I think you're doing it just right in a very Natalie style.

Don't change it up too much? :)

(The only thing I wouldn't miss is comment moderation. Joking!)

D-dawg said...

Natalie, I think we all have these same feelings. I think it's great to have blogging goals that you're trying to meet. And to make time restraints which I know you've done in the past. I struggle between wanting it to be all about me and my thoughts vs. family updates/what my kids are doing. I think your layout is cute and simple. I like simple. I totally would love to pay someone to make me an awesome header but too expensive so I'm sticking with my homemade ones. I am also always wanting to delete my links... too much info to load and too many people I feel like I"m forgetting. BUt links are sometimes the best part and a way to find others so I leave mine. Anyway, Just don't quit blogging... I love to hear from you! And let us know what you decide to do.

Camie said...

Hi Natalie!
I feel like you have a 'voice' when you write--whatever the topic! So I don't think you need to re-define yourself as a blogger--I think you're awesome! I'm kind of anti-structure on my blog. I don't want to define myself, because then I couldn't post all my random, unrelated thoughts. I have also used cutestblogontheblock.blogspot.com for templates.

About Me said...

Natalie, for blog designs, go to www.cutestblogontheblock.blogspot.com
Very fun designs that are free!

By the way, I love reading your blog. If you decide to go private, I hope I will be able to view it! Your blogs are so inspiring-especially for me trying to juggle just two kids. I need all the help I can get.

Jen said...

Natalie- you are nuts!
I like to read about your family and your random thoughts.
I meant to only blog about things I found funny- but ended up writing mostly about Cannon.
Just write when you are in the mood. But, be in the mood more often! Haha.

Megan Nordstrom said...

Hey Natalie,
I thought I would add my blog design web site to the rest. This one is great because she actually goes through the steps of designing and how to alter the html to make it look exactly the way you want. Good luck. Also, I say don't worry about what the posts are. I think they are great, and entertaining because they are things that just come up in life. Keep on it.

Keri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KickButtMommy said...

First of all, are you kidding? You have the best mom blog I have ever read.

Here is my rule (of course mine is not the best...)I write for me. I write the things I want to remember and think about and laugh and cry about. It is really my journal but I write it in a way that is not too private for 50 of my closest to read too. I figure it is an outlet for me, a journal for me, a hobby for me. If others like to read it...great. If not...oh well!

Allison said...

The best thing about your blog is that it is so Natalie. You don't force it, and it's charm is that your voice rings out. I would say that to worry too much about 'defining' your blog style would be to lose some of that charm. Just keep on keeping on baby!

Keri said...

YOu must be doing something right. Here are a few of the many things I have gotton from reading your blg.
1. I make the Devilfoods cookies all the time and everyone loves them.
2. When my 4 year old is wigging I know it is normal.
3. We now add something like your safety moment at FHE
4. I get to know how the Hoopes family is. And see lots of pictures.
And if Greg ever got offered a job in the Midwest I would say yes.

Jessica Brown said...

I love your blog Natalie. I don't feel like you need just one theme or identity. I love the mixture of wittiness/informative/real/family history that you have.

Furthermore- if your blog becomes a chore, then you need to simplify. I say don't worry so much about the readers as yourself. And if your having fun writing the blogs, then you can know that we are having fun reading them.

Celia Fae said...

I have bloggers identity crises frequently. Sometimes it just helps to talk about it.

Personally, I try to have guilt and obligation free blogging, but it is difficult. Guilt gets in the way of creativity, I think.

Good luck figuring out your blogdentity!

Natalie said...

Thanks everyone for seeing me through this crisis. I think I'm just going to continue blogging the way I always have.

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence, I blogged about my “Blog Identity Crisis” today too. I even used the same term. HA! We must be contemplating the same things. You have some great questions. I hope you discover those answers and end up making your blog what you want it to be.

I really like your header, but I understand wanting a change.

belliesue said...

I think you're an inspiring blogger. I always get a kick out of your posts. Good luck with the identity adjustments!

Mad Queen said...

Are you kidding... there are actually awards for the best blog? That is OUT OF CONTROL.

However, that said, if I had to vote, I would vote for you... I love your blog! You totally have your own voice and it makes me laugh. You write about interesting things and funny things and things I can completely relate to.

So my advice? Write for yourself... what do you want to preserve and remember? I am totally going to have my blog published, so I have some kind of a memento to keep...plus then I feel less guilty for the time I spend blogging...ha!

Keep it coming... you are awesome.

Michiko said...

I love your blog just the way it is! It's perfect for ME! Nevermind what all those other people want! :) I love keeping up with your family, and then nodding along as I read about your all-too-familiar mommy adventures. And then all your recipes, finds and tips? What's not to love?!

Kim said...

Natalie,
I love reading your blog. It's funny and so in tune with my own thoughts and feelings sometimes. I recently revamped my own blog (layout, etc.) and am happy. But I wonder at the amount of time I spent doing it. And now that I am going through some really tough personal stuff, I feel like I have to redo my blog to reflect these changes in my life. I am glad, once again, to see that I am not the only one out there with these types of thoughts!
Kim