Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Turkey Day!

So what does it mean if you fail at a "No Fail" pie crust recipe?
Have you noticed that nearly every pie crust recipe is titled "Perfect Pie Crust"
or "No Fail Pie Crust?"
Well, it's all just a bunch of baloney if you ask me.
False marketing by all the pie crust people.
Making one is darn tricky.
Truthfully, I've only made pie crust from scratch two times.
Well, three if you count the one I had to throw out tonight.
Here is my final draft.
Hey, stop laughing.


Here is the filling for my pecan pie.
Step one:



Step two: Uh, hellooo. Where'd all the pecan's go?





Ah, there you are, lovelies.


My shirt was the casualty in this experiment.
But it's worth it.
All in the name of the
"Perfect-No-Fail-Flakey-blah-blah-blah-Pie-Crust."


And, the final product: Ta Da!
Hope it tastes good. Won't know until tomorrow.


The real question is: Should I wear the portion control pants to our Thanksgiving feast?


Or the fat pants? Come on, it's pecan pie we're taking about here, people.


And to close my Thanksgiving post, I give the quote of the day:

Me: Are you excited for Thanksgiving tomorrow?
Miss M: Yes! I love roast beef!!

15 comments:

Mindy said...

Happy Thanksgiving! That pecan pie looked so incredibly delicious! I can't believe you made it from scratch. The crust looked perfect, so I think you must have it down.

And wear the fat pants for sure! I always do. Everyday.

KickButtMommy said...

That looks amazing! I could use a piece RIGHT NOW!

Laura said...

That's great! I made 4 pies this year for the first time in my life!! We'll see how they taste!

Laura said...

PS- go for the fat pants!

Heather said...

Yummy. Now you have breakfast for tomorrow.

I heard the same complaint about pie crust the other day on NPR. Here's their recipe.

Wait. Never mind. It's too much work to cut and paste.... I bet it's no surprise to you I've never made a pie crust from scratch.

Allison said...

To me, there is no question about the pants options. Your pie looks perfectly pecanly pleasing! Happy Turkey Day to your family!!

Camie said...

My no fail pie crust=Pillsbury refridgerated dough. It really is no fail!

Croppermom said...

Yes it is false advertising. I cannot even back a pre-made crust with out burning it to a crisp. stop by and see our blog some time

Marti said...

Looks like it was a great pie-much better than I could have done. In fact, I wouldn't have even attempted it. Tone's the cook/baker in our fam.

Rachael said...

It's the edges of your pie crust that indicate how well you did - so it looks like it was fabulous! Except you ruined it with those pecans! Come on Natalie - think chocolate or fruit or something else next time! :)

Mad Queen said...

Great post... especially Megan's quote at the end... love it! Looks like your pecan pie was a success! I made my first crust this year too and well... it was not so pretty, but it was edible. Happy Thanksgiving!

Jen said...

That crust looked great. I ALWAYS buy the refirigerated unroll kind. I wanted to wear fat pants, but they were dirty so had to wear protion control. I will plan better next year. Tell M Roast beef IS delicious!

Britt said...

You're pie looks great! I found a recipe for pie crust that I love. It's tender and flaky every time. I went with fat pants this year. Who wants to portion control on Thanksgiving? Load me up.

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the laugh, Natalie. You are hilarious. I needed that.

Gold-E said...

Never trust anyone who says, "it's as easy as pie." Pies are hard! Yours looks beautiful though. How did it taste?