Saturday, December 13, 2008

Tis the Season

Love this time of year!


My kids especially love to sing Christmas songs. Here is just one interpretation:


Is the season chilly cholly, fa la la la.... Now we know our scriptures darrel, fa la la la la....



We went to see Santa at the mall last week. Waited an hour. The family in front of us had their toddler in his stroller. Attached to the stroller was a balloon advertising the inappropriate place they went to for lunch. I was a little incredulous that they took their kid there, and tried to ignore the balloon. Mr. J saw it and asked, "Mom, what does h-o-o-t-e-r-s spell?" It's the name of a restaurant, I told him. "But what does it spell?" he asked. Something immodest, I told him. Didn't know what else to say. Moms always gotta be on their toes, I tell ya.


Anyway, J & M were good sports and dutifully visited with Santa. I didn't want to pay $20 for their tacky 5x7 photo, so I snapped one myself. I don't think I was supposed to do that because Santa very deliberately frowned. Geesh, ba humbug to you, fake Santa. We tried to coax Big A to visit with Santa, but he freaked out, climbed up and over my shoulder and refused to visit with him. When we were finished and on our way out of Santa's display area, Big A said, "That was fun, mom!" And he was smiling so big.


We also enjoyed our church Christmas party. Aka: follow your kids as they run around the halls of the church all night. I just don't like them running around in a big (dark, cold and sometimes freaky) building unsupervised. Does this bother any other parents out there? They won't stay with me for the party, so I follow them around. And I got to see what all the kids were doing. Man, kids can get pretty mischievous.

Here I am wondering where my oldest has gone...


Later that night, we loaded the kids in the car and drove around to see Christmas lights. Big A must have been feeling pretty nostalgic. He kept requesting to go to Grandma's house (which is 1300 miles away.) He wouldn't let it go. We realize we've spent all of our Christmas Holidays with family, so it must be strange for our kids that we're not going there this Christmas.
"Is this the way to Grandma's house?" He kept asking.

Last week we did one of my all time favorite activities since moving here. We went to see Handel's Messiah performed in the St. Paul Cathedral. It was completely mesmerizing. It reminded me how much I love classical music and attending concerts. I haven't done it for so long (comes with the territory when you have a bunch of little kids in in such a short time). I was in another world as I listened to the singers. The tenor's voice was especially gorgeous; transcendent was the word D used, and he was right. I admit, I teared up a few times. The cathedral was so beautiful - a perfect setting for the music.
This is a picture of us in the near empty cathedral.
We were an hour early.
My husband is very punctual.
Hey, I'm not complaining - we got an awesome parking spot.
Because the parking lot was empty.
(Just teasing you, D.)


I am so proud of my little brother! He wrote and published this Children's book. It's called Other People's Shoes. You can order it here, or here. It is such a cute story, I highly recommend it!! It would be a perfect Christmas gift.

Some of my favorite things this month are:
Home made pot pourri that has simmered in my house all day.
This perfect weeknight meal to enjoy during this crazy month.
Salted carmel hot chocolate.
And these yummy boots from Nordstroms.




And here is what our entry way looks like in the winter.
Who invented mudrooms?
Whoever you are, you are a genius.
And I wish I had one.



Here's Little E in a darling hat that Dad found.
She loves to be pretty.
I know the first picture isn't the best, but I love her smile in it.


And finally for your viewing pleasure,

here is our Christmas card that didn't make the cut this year. I really liked this one. It was meant to be developed into a large size, and the photo lab that specialized in the larger size was too far away. With bad weather, limited time and just too many things to do, we didn't make it there. So, we're mailing a slightly different one.



Have a great holiday, my lovely readers!

10 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Natalie! You are too much fun. First I hear you on the balloon. One time we were in line at Thunder Mountain Railroad behind a guy, his wife, and his 10 year old daughter. I had about 7 or 8 of the ward kids with me 2 of them 9 year old boys. It was pretty bad once we realized the guy had a tatoo of a naked lady on his arm sitting spread eagle.....I mean SERIOUSLY? He lets his daughter knows he degrades women like that? It was not easy keeping the kids from looking once they noticed and lucky us, the line took 20 minutes to get through.

I HATE church parties for the same reason.

I LOVE your Nordstrom boots and want them.

I think that concert sounds amazing, AND don't complain D is puctual as M and C are the latest creatures known to man and embarass me frequently.

Mudroom schmudroom! We use the kitchen counter.

Love ya girl. Merry Christmas and gorgeous card!

KickButtMommy said...

Oh yeah, and Super IMPRESSED with Adam! I remember many fond time with Adam. Especially how he would spell out words instead of say them. I will definitely order his book.

Kelly said...

N, this post packed a punch! I feel updated. Loved the singing from one of the cutest kids I know. Love J's way of figuring things out, but most of all, like A, we're missing "home" this time of year! Love you guys!

Mindy said...

What a great, full post! I know I'm going to forget to comment on something. Big A's song was so cute.

I can't believe someone took their child to 'H'.

I'm annoyed to death with following my kids around the church building during parties or activities. My new rule is that they have to stay in the gym the whole time with us. So now I just follow them around the gym and watch them annoy everyone there and eventually run into and knock a smaller child down.

I miss seeing 'The Messiah' performed and hope to be able to do it again someday.

I can't believe your brother wrote a book!

Those boots are incredible. Are you getting them for Christmas?

Our entry way looks the exact same and it drives me crazy.

Little E is adorable! And I love your not-Christmas card. So cute.

Jen said...

I had to take naotes, so I could comment properly.

Such a great new song, nice that he added the scriptures in. A little more religious. Nice touch!

"H" has Balloons? Really- balloons? Like they get kids there a lot?

I am mean and make Can sit at the table the whole time at parties. But, I only have one to boss around and he is strangley obedient.

I am so envious of the Messiah concert. I am going to the Lollipop symphony- not quite the same.

Cool book!

I, too, dream of a mudroom. I cut out pictures of them and save them.

I never even pretend to do a Christmas card. Maybe someday....

Rachael said...

Love the boots. Very good-looking.

I cannot believe the balloon! Hello? What were the parents possibly thinking? Plus - doesn't that just wave out a big, loud "I'm a lousy parent" declaration right in front of everyone? Clueless.

Heather said...

I told Sarah "Hooters" meant owl eyes. That's what they look like from far away.......

No wonder my kids are twisted.

Marti said...

What a fun post! I totally know what you mean about the ward christmas party. This year we kind of let our kids go play with their friends and when we finally found them and asked them what they did-they said something about following a cat outside and there being a man there who was 'really nice'...YIKES!! After more questions we found out it was someone from the ward, but STILL.

And I am totally impressed with Adam publishing a children's book. I just found out about it a couple of weeks ago. That is so great.

And I love your family picture. I can't believe we'll have that many people in our family next year.

Jill said...

Cute cute cute. Love the stories, love the pix, love the boots...but I hate how you can't take a picture with Santa either...they are greedy little buggars and only want our money. I totally would have taken a shot as well. Luckily our Santa pix was at school for free!

Mad Queen said...

Your Christmas card wins for being the cutest it the world. Super fun! Love the picture of all of your legs. And hey did you get those boots... pretty sexy lady!