Sunday, February 08, 2009

25 Things

I know my blog has been running dry lately. There's a good reason. I'll get to that later.

Anyway, some of you who read my blog are not connected with me on Facebook. There was a little tag going around on Facebook which tells you to write 25 things about yourself. So, I'm posting it here to keep you entertained. For those of you who read my blog rather than my Facebook profile, I'm throwing in a bonus. A #26. If you care to stick around to read all 26, you're pretty awesome!

25 things. No, 26 things about me.

1. If I am on Facebook or blogging, it means I am procrastinating doing something else that really needs to be done.

2. Sometimes it takes me four days to do the laundry. This week, it has taken me five days. I like to beat my own personal records like that.

3. I firmly believe that less is more in every circumstance in life: when you dress up for an evening out, when you decorate your home, when you cook, when speaking in public, when disciplining your kids, etc.

4. I love dogs, but I don’t think they replace kids.

5. I can’t stand Kate’s haircut on Jon and Kate plus 8. I call it "the big bird." It bugs me that they commercialize (and profit from) having a big family.

6. I’ve learned so many great things from my husband. He’s taught me new things about cooking, skiing, communication, parenting, traveling, the list goes on. Shhh, don’t tell anyone, but I got the better end of the deal when I married him.

7. I love to decorate. It is a creative outlet for me and I have so many visions and ideas for things I’d like to try. But I don’t spend a lot of time or energy on that because, HELLO, I have four kids.

8. I can’t wear lipstick. I just look really weird in it.

9. If I had extra money, I would choose to spend it on my husband, my kids or my house rather than on myself. Not because I’m extremely self sacrificing. If my house or my kids look good, it reflects well on me. So, you see, I have very selfish motives.

10. I make overly ambitious to-do lists.

11. I love my children fiercely. I’m proud of the work I do as a stay at home mom.

12. I hate green peppers. Their flavor is too strong and takes over the whole dish.

13. If awakened in the middle of the night, I can usually fall asleep again quickly. But when sleep doesn’t come easily, obnoxious songs go through my head and I can’t get them out. Not even good songs. Dumb ones. Like the dramatic theme music from The Biggest Loser. And then the song repeats in my head over and over and then I really can’t sleep. Who could with all that music going on in the background?

14. Speaking of sleep, I can not sleep when there is a full moon, or when it is really windy.

15. I think black nail polish on short nails is a fad that must die. It makes your fingers look like short, stubby sausages. Really, people.

16. I heart my minivan. There, I said it.

17. Running and weight lifting is the most effective exercise for me.

18. I am very conservative and I love listening to talk radio. I find myself saying, "YES!" out loud to what the hosts are saying.

19. I do not hate George Bush. I do not love Barack Obama.

20. I am not spontaneous. I thrive on structure, schedules and routines. I get anxious when things are out of sorts.

21. Years ago, my husband and I went to Africa for a humanitarian project. One year after the trip, I got Malaria - and I was pregnant at the time. It just about did me in. After my baby was born the Malaria showed up again, and I lost an obscene amount of weight. But after everything was resolved, I loved being super skinny. I know that’s bad, but I blame society’s obsession with looks.

22. When I am sad, retail therapy works wonders.

23. I am not big into hugging. I hug my kids all the time. But with adults, I’d rather smile and wave.

24. I have seriously considered becoming a vegetarian, but I’m too busy and lazy to make the switch over just yet.

25. I am completely devoted to the gospel of Jesus Christ.

26. I am expecting baby #5.

19 comments:

Jessica Brown said...

Natalie I love you! You're so real, and that's why your posts are so great.

Oh and I love how you just slipped in the fact that your having number 5 at the very bottom of your list. . . does this some what reflect on how your feeling about it? :) You're such a great mom, and if any one can do this it's you!

Mindy said...

I can't believe you are pregnant again!!!!!!! Congratulations! I thought that might be the added #26, so I scrolled down to the bottom right away to check. Wow! That is so exciting. Can't wait to hear more details!

Laura said...

CONGRATS!! I was waiting for the usual January announcement!! You guys are like clock work! Is it a August baby? YEA!!

Jenny G said...

Holy Cow! You totally about knocked me off my chair by just throwing in #26 like that! Congrats! How exciting. I hope you are feeling as well as a pregnant girl can. And, I loved reading your list. Now try to take a nap...

Kelly said...

Ah, Natalie...here you go! Mother of five. I love it. It's fitting. What lucky, lucky children.

lani said...

Congrats!!! Tyler actually told me last night after seeing Drew at the youth fireside, so i'm glad the news is out so I can congratulate you. You are an awesome mom and have such a great family--this is one lucky kid. Are your kids excited?

Jeni and Dave said...

Natalie,

Your 1-25 proves that you will do great with #26! Congratulations! (;

Jeni

KickButtMommy said...

I love your list and I love that you are having another....you and Drew are amazing parents. The baby couldn't ask for a better home!

Camie said...

Congratulations Natalie!! I also skimmed all the way down to #26 to see if there was big news. I'm sure your kids are all very excited, and I hope you are feeling well. I think it's so hard to have the energy to keep up with kids while I'm pregnant--good luck with that part!

Cheesy Mama said...

CONGRATS NATALIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Britt said...

Wow! #5 eh? I'm still thinking about "if" on #3 for us. You go girl!

Marti said...

#5?! Congrats!

I hate Kate's hair, too. But it's not so much the spikies in the back, but the big chunk in front that is constantly in her face. I always want her to tuck it behind her ear or SOMETHING!! It's distracting.

Allison said...

Yeah for baby #5!!! I am thrilled for your family. And I won't hug you when I see you, I will just give you a big thumbs up, since I am not that into hugging either!!

Brooke said...

Natalie! I am so thrilled for you guys, and I hope you are feeling well. Congratulations!!

Annette said...

Four things about me:
I love Natalie and Drew
I also hate green peppers and completely agree with you - they take over the dish.
I am thrilled about #26. Congratulations!
I wish you could come for dinner on Sunday, like Jess, Jaron and Liv.

Anny said...

What a fun list of 25 things and congrats on baby #5! Kids are hard work, messy and tiring BUT they are also fun, cute and SO worth it. I hope you have a great pregnancy. I can't believe you got Malaria, wow! But what a fun adventure to serve in Africa.

About Me said...

Congrats Nat! You gotta tell us when you are due?

Jen said...

You are so funny. I would drive yuo crazy with my inability to stick to a routine. They just bore me to death.
So, Malaria is the way to go, eh? No wonder so many movie stars go to Africa.
I am SO envious about the baby! Why am I so far behind?

Unknown said...

Nat- Congratulations! We are so excited for your ever growing family and to have another cousin for our baby to have fun with. We hope to see you guys this summer.