Thursday, November 05, 2009

A Message to Help All of Us

I am a Mormon. Many of you who read my blog are also Mormon. And my friends who are not Mormon know that I am.

I believe that no matter your religion, this message will help you as it did me. So, I hope you'll read this post.

A few weeks ago, we had the opportunity to hear Sister Beck, the General Relief Society President of our church speak to us. She was in the twin cities and agreed to hold a special conference just for the women in our area. It was awesome. I was uplifted.

There are a few things she said that I want to share with you. I hope by writing them down here, I will remember them a little better. Here are some highlights:


We impose things on ourselves that the Lord would never impose on us. Our to-do list becomes too long, too heavy and then we can't carry it.
What the Lord asks us to do is really simple.
Sister Beck told us to Make a list with three columns.

In the first, write down:
What is essential to help me have eternal life?
Scripture study, prayer.
Some days it will be serving others.
Other days it will be going to the temple.
Keep this list short.
Every day spend time doing these things, and the cumulative good of this will bear fruit.


In the second column you have your
Should Do List
For example, work, laundry, feeding your family.
I appreciate that Sister Beck said a house of confusion can't house the Spirit.
The Should Do list is what I must do today to bless others and fulfill my responsibilities.

In the third, Nice to Do.
Everything else falls into this category.
Always do the Essentials,
Most of the Shoulds,
And a few of the Nice To s


Sister Beck told us to
Become experts at receiving personal revelation.
Understand how to get it and interpret it every day.
There will never be enough of you to do all that your heart cries out to do.
With the help of the spirit, we can choose between good and good.
Eliminate the things that are distracting to you.
Many detractors are good, but Satan wants to distract us.
Sometimes, you're choosing to do too many good things.

Sister Beck talked about guilt.
There's a distinct difference between guilt and remorse.
When we feel remorse, we know we can do better.
If you believe in the Atonement, you don't think you're bad,
but you think you can do better.
We just have to keep trying.


She gave this example: Tiger Woods is a phenomenal golfer.
After he his tournaments, whether he wins or looses, he practices for two hours.
Many would wonder why he does this - he's one of the best golfers in the world.
But he keeps trying.
It is because he keeps trying that he is as good as he is.

The changes we can make
because of the Atonement are at times imperceptible,
but the way you know it's working is to look back ten years
and realize that you're better now than you were then.


Sister Beck acknowledged that we all have difficult battles.
Battles such as cancer. Addiction. Same gender attraction. Depression ...
The list of battles we face is endless.
We all have battles, but that doesn't change the plan.
If you practice and perfect the principles in the Proclamation,
you will be a successful family member.

Sister Beck ended her message by talking about Shifts.
We can transfer this idea to our lives as busy women and mothers.
Her father-in-law's work (I can't recall exactly what it was) had three shifts:

The morning shift.
The swing, or afternoon shift
And the evening shift.

Decide: When do I have to be my best?
Once you've decided, make it your most effective time.

Sister Beck chose the Swing Shift as her most important shift of the day.
Kids are coming home from school
Husbands are coming home from work
Dinner needs to be made
Love needs to be felt
Home needs to be a safe haven.
If everyone else is tired, grumpy and hungry, I can't be.

Don't forget, we need to rest during one of the shifts.
Work two shifts. Not all three.
Conserve somewhere else.
If your body is so tired that you can't feel the spirit, then you can't be effective.

Sister Beck's words helped me so much. I'm usually overwhelmed.
These thoughts helped me put things back in perspective.
Especially the Swing Shift idea.
My days are chaotic.
But every afternoon, I remember - My family needs me.
Time to get ready for the Swing Shift!

12 comments:

Kris said...

I LOVED Sister Beck's talk and appreciate that you took notes and posted her message.

Mindy said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I wish this message had been available for all of us! I'm so grateful that you posted it here. It's perfect for what I am going through right now. You are inspired!

Laura said...

She is so great and so are you! Thanks for sharing that! Sure love you!

Jenny G said...

It's like this was written for me:)

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

thanks natalie. sister beck was here a few months ago & shared many of the same ideas... all good stuff... just need to be reminded of it every once in awhile.

Kelly said...

Natalie, this post just got a star in my google reader. Meaning, I need to come back to it. Thanks so much for sharing. Aren't we lucky to have wisdom like that to glean from?

Jen said...

Wow, thanks for sharing.

jane said...

love this! Thanks for sharing it with me.

Kathryn said...

A message for all time and all people. Thanks for taking the time to write it down and put it in your blog. It's advice I can use.

BrookeHoopes said...

Seriously Natalie, Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of that. Those ideas were inspiring and so immediately applicable for me. Thanks so much.

Rachael said...

Natalie - I'm so glad you wrote this down. Thank you!

belliesue said...

Thanks for sharing..what great reminders and perspective! It's been a while since I checked, so excited about your get away to England! Good Luck on fulfilling your shifts!