Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Getting D to the B: Surviving Laundry

Getting D to the B stands for "Getting Down to Business." Do you like the title?

Thanks, I do too. 

(What's that you ask? You think I've been listening to Jay Z while jogging? Perhaps...)

Do you have a handle on laundry at your house? If not, here are some awesome tips that work well at my house. If you follow this advice then you, too, can have five kids! Kidding.

Some of these tips I've stolen from other sources. Some of them I've come up with on my own.

First Laundry Tip: Separate laundry automatically each time you put it in the hamper. One basket for whites. One for darks. One for lights


Our baskets of Whites and Lights




When laundry day rolls around - Presto! You toss it in the machine right away. Or even the night before. No need to spend time sorting. We all know that sorting slows down the entire laundry process. Instead, sort as you go.




Second Laundry Tip: Give yourself a window of time to finish your laundry. I do NOT like doing one load of laundry a day. This means I am stuck doing it everyday. No thanks. Yet, sometimes it's just not possible to finish all our laundry in one day. If you want to feel some finality to laundry, follow this schedule I created (which includes folding and putting away):

Mondays- Whites and Lights
Tuesdays- Darks and Delicates
Wednesdays - Sheets and Towels
Thursdays - Rugs and Rags


See how catchy that is? It's easy to remember.
I like this schedule because I can usually finish most of the laundry on Monday, which makes me feel like I have extra time during the week to get other things done. No more harried feelings of being behind. Or staying up late to fold. No more inconvenience of rummaging through baskets of unfolded laundry when trying to dress each day.

I like this schedule because When I need to wash rugs and rags, I have a designated day to do it. Otherwise, they sit in my laundry room forever until I can get to it.

I like this schedule because When I am just too busy, I can at least manage to get two loads of laundry done. Folding and putting away two loads of laundry is A LOT easier than eight loads.

How do you make the laundry work in your house?

7 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

I don't. Haven't you seen my blog? Thanks for the tips. I need them.

Heather said...

I ignore it until Mark AND AJ both have to ask if there is any clean underwear in the house. Sarah's a smarty - she just washes her own.

jane said...

I have a question, When during the day do you do the laundry and what do you do to keep your little ones entertained while you are doing it? That is my biggest struggle with any cleaning/folding or putting away while my kids are up. They seem to undo another part of the house while I frantically rush through the folding and putting away. I am so ready to try a new method because my current one isn't exactly working to my liking. Thanks for the tips!

Natalie said...

Good question, Jane!

I start the first load when I wake up. Then, I change loads just before we head out the door to school. Change loads again at lunch time (after we get back home from errands, etc). And again mid-afternoon if you have another load.

I to fold when the kids are napping or having quiet time in the afternoon. That way I can put clothes away when I'm tucking the kids into bed.

If that doesn't work, I fold after they are asleep and put the clothes away first thing in the morning when they are getting dressed.

Hope that is helpful. I've had plenty of weeks where the kids love to throw the folded laundry all around. Argh.

jane said...

Thanks! I am going to give it a go this week. I will let you know how it goes.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the tip. I have 7 kids, 8 if you count my husband. I am always behind on the laundry. I am going to try your advice.

Trainer Momma said...

I need to read this about 10 times in a row until it becomes a part of me. Laundry will be the death of me, I swear. A slow, painful death. Thanks for passing on the wisdom! I find that if I methodically do at least one load a day, I'm on top of it. But when I skip a day -- whoa -- there's some serious trouble.