![]() |
| Merry Christmas! |
![]() |
| Love it in black and white, too |
Our Christmas cards - that are to be sent to all of you - were supposed to arrive on Monday. They're still not here. If you get one from us after Christmas, don't make fun. Hence the premature Christmas picture posted above.
Perhaps this post is a little Scrooge-ish.
You've been warned.
I love Christmas time. Really, I do.
I gotta be honest - Christmas decorations make me nauseated. Perhaps it's because the past 10 Christmases I have either been pregnant or fighting a nasty sickness. As a result, I just don't trust my body at this time of year. I mentally brace myself for feeling my worst. When I see a wreath, or worse, a big blow-up Christmas Sponge Bob in somebody's yard, my stomach starts to churn. (Disclaimer: I am not pregnant.)
Every year I promise to be more organized for the next Christmas so that I can relax and enjoy the holidays. The preparations for the season have seemed nearly impossible for me to accomplish this year. Even my basics tasks have gotten the better of me.
{{ just a little stressed}}
The past two weeks have wiped me out. We lost a very beloved grandpa. D and the older kids went to the funeral - I was sad to miss it. I will miss him so much.
While they were away, the four of us at home got super sick with the flu and then pink eye, and a touch of strep. There's just no place in this world for moms to get sick. Try cleaning up vomit when you feel barfy yourself. Fun, fun.
On my very worst sick day, Baby S woke up with pink puffy eyes. I forced myself to have enough energy to take her (and drag the other two kids) to the doctor. I didn't know how I was going to do it. Seriously, I prayed so hard that I could make it; that she could get the medicine she needed and that we would be safe. On the way to the doctor, we almost got in a car accident. It was so close, and I don't know how our car was missed, but tears of gratitude streamed down my cheeks and wouldn't stop. I knew that my prayer had been specifically answered and that we were watched over that night.
But the illness has had a tight grip on us. It seems that Mr. Stomach Bug, Mrs. Pink Eye, Sir Sinus Infection, and Strep Throat Symptoms like our home so much, they just don't want to leave. This means precious little sleep.
Lack of sleep causes delirium. It's true. During a recent sleepless night, I told D it was his turn to take care of the crying baby.
"I can't," he said. "I have a final tomorrow."
"No you don't," I said,
"Yeah I do. Remember? I told you," he replied.
"You don't have a final tomorrow because you're not in college," I reminded him.
He thought about that for a minute, then got up to take care of Baby S.
We've had a few snow days lately. Church has been canceled twice.
Tons of snow followed by below freezing temperatures = Treacherous conditions.
Treacherous conditions = You're not going anywhere.
The first snow day is wonderful. The second snow day is also fun, but you have to make sure you don't get too stir crazy. The third snow day makes me think that there's such a thing as too much togetherness.
Sorry - it's not that bad. Perhaps the snow days in addition to the sick days (added to my obsessive desire for structure compounded by my growing to-do list) made me think the latter. I love my family.
One more thing: YMCA, oh how I've missed you! I know you haven't seen me for a couple of weeks (see above reasons), but I will be back stronger than before. I never realized just how much I needed you for my sanity!
Thanks for letting me vent on my blog. Let's end this pity fest with a list of positives, shall we? You know how much I love lists...
Positive things about the past two weeks:
D and the kids were able to see family
My two oldest had some special experiences they'll remember always
D and the kids were only gone one week
D doesn't have to travel any more this year
I'm now one stomach flu away from my goal weight
We've already had a lot of sickness - here's to a healthy Christmas morning!
We were kept safe and looked after when we needed it most
The missionaries shoveled our driveway when I was sick and D was gone - How'd they know?
I have a husband who makes me laugh even at 3 AM
I have a husband who will help me with the sick kids even with a huge work day ahead
Great friends who took my healthy kids to preschool when I was too sick
A truly wonderful home teacher who picked up my family from the airport during our sickness
A truly wonderful home teacher who picked up my family from the airport during our sickness
We had ebelskivers on our snow days. Yum.
We had plenty of food when the weather was frightful
My parents are coming to visit in a week!
My husband was in town to do the major shoveling! This is HUGE.
We love you, our family and friends. We're so grateful to have you in our lives.
Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Christmas card forthcoming...
Join me and my little blog again after the new year.
More D to the B posts are in store. (I know - you're thrilled.)
More D to the B posts are in store. (I know - you're thrilled.)


6 comments:
I am so sorry Natalie.
First of all. You were very missed. I kept telling Drew, it was great he was there, I was so glad M and J were there, but that I really wished you and A, and E, and S were there too. Wow, its a good thing you all have names that start with different letters hu?
I'm sorry you were so sick. I say throw your list away, let your momma take care of you when she gets there and just enjoy Christmas! Bless the missionaries and friends for helping you out. Wish I lived closer to help too.
I dread those college dreams. I ALWAYS forget to go to math and find out at the end of the term.
Ebelskievers! I miss those.
Love your pictures. Did Jen come out to you?
Thanks, Jennie. Jen didn't come here. We met up with her in UT when visiting there over the summer. Loved your Christmas card, btw!
Wow, sounds like your before Christmas was almost as bad as mine. I'm sorry you guys were all so sick. We had a round of stomach flu around here too but it hit us for New Years. I hope you had a great visit with your mom! Your kids are so cute btw.
I can't believe it's been so long since I looked at your blog. I'm sorry you guys were so sick during that time even though it was what, 9 months ago? I hope you guys are doing well.
Post a Comment