Recently, I had the pleasure of reuniting with a very dear friend. The kind of friend that you don't see very often, but when you do it's as if not a day has passed. The conversation picks up right where you left off. Inside jokes are resurrected. Memories are shared; you could talk and laugh all night long.
But something bothered me during our visit. Some of the things we talked about, I didn't remember very well. It's not the end of the world that I didn't remember everything. I've had a few things going on the past 15 years or so. The thing I re-learned after our exchange is that I have a bad memory! Not sure why that is - is it because I'm stressed, overtired, good at denial, self-centered, or just plain ditsy? (Don't answer that.)
When I think back on events just a few months prior, it takes me a while to recall what we did.
What did we do for Big A's birthday? It was in the middle of our move - did we open presents in our new house or old house? What year did we stop traveling home for Christmas? How much chili powder do I have left in the cupboard? What did I wear yesterday?
This is why I like to write everything down. We've had so much going on in our lives since I last updated my blog. And I want to remember it. For now, blogging is my only method of recording our family events. Consequently, I caught you all up on the happenings the past ten months. You don't have to scroll back to read it all. I did it mostly for me and my failing memory.
Usually I'd end this post with some well-meaning promise to keep blogging. But I won't do that. What I will commit to is keeping a better record my family. You're welcome to come along for the ride.
(Please make sure your seat belt is securely fastened. Keep your arms and legs inside the cart at all times....)
5 comments:
YAY! I am incredibly excited to read all about your haps the last 10 months!
It IS so hard to remember, isn't it?
Natalie! So good that you're back in the cyber world. I get the blog relationship. Sometimes, it's so perfect for me. And sometimes...not. But, I LOVE it when you're blogging. I NEED to see updates on your kids and your life as well. And, you always manage to throw in a little uplift or inspiration for me as well. And that's appreciated more than you know. Welcome back!
hooray! glad you're coming back. and just so you know... i have a terrible memory, that's why i blog too! my husband remembers everything, me not so much. thank goodness for the last 5 years of blogging... and the books I make each year!
Nat
That was so fun to get a rundown of your year through photos. I absolutely love your new house. It looks so roomy and clean and fresh. That must be wonderful! I thought of you the other day as I drove to get a cupcake from the sweet tooth fairy. I have been trying to eat healthy and just have treats on the weekends. So when Friday came around, I wanted one of those yummy cupcakes. I have to admit I was a little shaky with excitement and drove a little faster than usual....
Post a Comment