Recently, I had to explain to my kids what a record player is.
But I don't think I'm old.
I'm too busy to feel old.
But I don't think I'm old.
I'm too busy to feel old.
Some times I forget my age. (Seriously - I have to count backwards...)
Lately I've gotten a kick out of seeing the prices of things and remembering what they used to cost.
I remember when stamps were 25 cents.
I remember when I could fill my Honda Civic with gas for $9. I wrote a check for it.
I remember when you could get a candy bar for 50 cents and a soda for 50 cents. And the soda came in a can, not a too-big-for-you 20 oz bottle.
I remember when a jumbo box of diapers at Costco was $23. Now it's $39.
I remember when I would actually travel to the library and check out books to write a research paper for school. I even used a big thing called an "Encyclopedia."
I remember summer and playing outside all day long with friends until dark. We played Kick the Can and Ultimate Frisbee. We were not over scheduled, nor were we obsessed with electronics.
I remember when a phone was used for two things: listening and speaking.
I remember taking 25 cents when going out with friends. (The 25 cents was for a thing called a pay phone. Just in case I needed to call my parents for a ride or anything else).
I remember when $20 meant a great day at the mall: Lunch. Yogurt from Golden Spoon. Pictures at one of those picture booths. And a pair of shoes from Payless.
I remember crimping my hair with a purple crimper and listening to Tiffany.
Runnin' just as fast as we can (Can Can Can). Holdin' onto one another's hand (Hand Hand Hand)...
What do you remember?
5 comments:
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I'm with you!
I remember leaving the house in the morning and not coming home until it was dark....when I was 9. We would be outside running around ALL DAY LONG. Our parents didn't even KNOW WHERE WE WERE. No cell phones, no check ins, just freedom.
Yes, gas for 89 cents!
Pagers before cell phones.
Having to talk to friends parents on the phone.
Walking and riding the bus.
Then,later, driving by boys houses!
Fruit snacks that weren't shaped like anything.
Pudding roll-ups and pudding pops.
Shaving my legs to Bobby Brown.
Happy birthday cutie! Hope you have a wonderful day!!
I remember big bangs, leg warmers and leggings of all different colors. Oh wait, those things are still around. See, we're not so old!
Post a Comment