Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Photographer Challenge Day One: Self Portrait

I'm doing a Photographer Challenge on Facebook / Instagram.  Some people out there still read my blog, but do not follow me on FB or IG. (Hi, Mom!)

Why not post my daily photos on the blog? It will keep blogger from deleting me due to inactivity.


Day One: Self Portrait


Lots of thoughts accompany this photo. Thoughts. Excuses. Disclaimers.

First Disclaimer: I know nothing about photography. 

But I desperately want to learn! I have wanted to for a long time. I don't even own a DSLR camera. (Insert collective gasp here.)  It seems like everyone owns a DSLR. Or is selling the model I hope to have one day so they can upgrade to the super deluxe DSLR.

I could study all about exposure, aperture, shutter speed, depth of field, etc. But it gets a bit boring without a camera to execute such functions.

I am saving my pennies for the DSLR and lens I want. No, not the typical bundle you find at Costco - I want to be smart about my purchase. It will happen.

If my photos are blurry, dark, or overexposed, I apologize. I will learn some day. And I have a feeling I'll love it!


Second Disclaimer:  I hate taking photos of myself.  

The dreaded self portrait. Some people love it. Rather than call them narcissistic, I'll oooh and aaaah over their confidence. 

When I took a picture of myself for all to see, I felt this need to explain away my imperfections: 

I am still very, Very, VERY busy every day. The physically-demanding-crisis-management-bending-twisting-lifting-all-day-my-feet-hurt kind of busy. 

To spend extra time or money on myself is not my reality. 

When I eat and shower largely depends on the needs of my children, cause I always address their needs first. Some people manage to look so cute despite what their day brings them. I haven't figured out how to pull that off yet. 

Kids hang on or around me all day. We dance. Clean up spills. Read books on the floor. Slide down slides with puddles at the bottom on a windy day. Prevent fights. Enforce time-outs. Cook. Clean. Clean some more. Cook some more. Fold Laundry. See the husband off at the airport. Swimming Lessons. Piano Lessons. Gymnastics. Ballet. Daycare for the neighbor. Make sure kids stay on task and do their jobs. Take dinner to a friend. Change diapers. Have friends over. Clean up bikes before it rains (quick!). Carpool. Trudge through snow. Get stuck in the snow. Shovel the blasted snow. Call the teacher to talk about my child's grades. Oops, someone peed on the floorHelp another child with homework. Hold a toddler on my lap while on the computerTeach Joy School. Shovel the Piano Teacher's driveway cause she has arthritis. Worry about what things my Kindergartner encounters on the bus - Try to undo that damage. Pay bills. Have an after school snack. Sweep up smashed crackers. Clean out garbage from the carGrocery shop. Exercise. Wait for the bus. Do Homework. Fight over piano practice. Sam's Club. Clean. Sweep the floor. Wipe up the spilled milk. Read scriptures. Teach my daughter how to handle playground politics. Deal with a moody pre-teen's back talkAnd collapse at the end of the day to do it all over again. 

So, my shirt that I wear once or twice a week is wrinkled and not much to look at. My hair is done quickly, then promptly rained on. I'm lucky to have enough time to slap on some make up. 

My self portrait is real. It's me.

You see, I'm busy.






2 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

I think you are insanely gorgeous and insanely skinny, must be from that intense work out and the diet that consists of eating when you have time (when is that).

Jen said...

Natalie, you are always so witty! I actually think you look good in your picture. I write this on my second day without a shower!