Saturday, February 03, 2007

Frost Bite, Anyone?

Our only qualm when we contemplated moving here was this: Will we be able to make it through the winters? I reassured my husband with a resounding YES!
... Until this weekend...
I don't know if any of you have watched the weather lately. You may have noticed some negative numbers over in the Midwest region. Let me fill you in on the details. These are some of the phrases you'll hear on the weather reports here,

"This is the coldest it has been in over two years."
"It hasn't been this cold for this long since 1996."
"If you must go outside, do not let any of your skin be exposed to the air to avoid frost bite."
"The coldest air in the country is over our state now."

As for the temperatures, it has been in the -12 to -15 zone since Friday. Please don't forget our friend, Mr. Windchill. When you factor that in, it is actually between -25 and -40.

That's right. Negative forty.

At the beginning of the winter, I didn't think twice when the temperatures were in the 30's. As it got colder, I would find myself chanting, "Come on, 20's!" Now, I'm just praying for the day when we'll get to zero.

Everyone, say it with me now. "Come on, Zero!"

7 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

oh I am in pain for you!

Kelly said...

I'm feeling you, sister! We're at about -3 degrees before you factor winchill. For the past 2 days I have refused to go outside unless it is absolutely necessary. It is just way too cold. Poor Whitney has to bundle up in snow clothes just to drive the 3 blocks to school. It's unbearable! And I think you guys are on average 10 degrees colder than we are. Jared picked a bad week to shave his beard though. My all time favorite complaint was when he said that the inside of his nose would freeze while walking to the bus. I, like you, am looking forward to next weeek when it's supposed to "warm" up to a balmy 19 degrees! Hang in there. It can't last forever.

Anonymous said...

Nothing quite like the Midwestern pleasure of feeling your nosehairs or eyelashes freeze together. Eew. I remember those days - wish I could say I remember them fondly, but .... nope. Not fondly.

Mindy said...

I have no reason to complain after hearing those temperatures! I am so sorry that it's so cold! Have you just been trying to stay inside all the time? Is your heat running non-stop? I hope you guys can stay inside as much as possible!

Jessica Brown said...

Dangit Nat! Stick to a strict diet of hot chocolate and cuddley blankets! Thats what I had to do when I lived up in Logan. The winter I was there it got down to the negative 40s with the windchill. I hated it. When I would walk to school if any of my skin was exposed it was like a thousand needles were jabbing at me. Terrible! Lets all move to Hawaii! :)

D-dawg said...

We did see the forcast and thought of you guys!!! Frostbite??? I can't believe that. I'm so sorry!

KickButtMommy said...

Did I mention it is 75° here? There is a reason it is so expensive to live in LA and that is it! I am off to take the kids to the park (just to rub it in)