Tantrums: Ignoring.
General freaking out: Acknowledging and then explaining, "You can't act that way even if you're frustrated."
Fighting: Have the kids go outside and run laps around the house. This is my favorite tip from a very wise mom I know.
Sharing: If we continue to fight over the same toy, it will be put in toy jail. (And why is it always the cheap toy from a Happy Meal that they all want?)
Irreverence at church: A little something we like to call Reverence Training. For every minute they're not reverent at church, they have to be reverent at home afterwards. This means they sit quietly and still with their arms folded for 15 minutes (or however long they were goofing off at church).
When a stubborn toddler won't leave: If you're at a friend's house or somewhere in public and your little one doesn't want to follow, I say "Ok, Bye Andrew." He gets a little nervous and follows me almost every time. So did my older kids.
Cleaning up your messes: I tell them, "Mommies are not maids. They're mommies. And if mommies have to spend all their time cleaning up your messes, then they can't be good mommies. And then there won't be any time left for us to do fun things together."
Tattling: There's a difference between tattling and reporting. If someone or something is going to get hurt, then please report it to me. Otherwise, I don't want to hear about it.
Car safety: My kids like to take off their seat belts as we're arriving at a destination, but before I've stopped the car. I call out "seat belt check!" And whoever has their seat belt on gets a little treat. (Really little, like a smartie or a sticker.)
Safety minute: At the beginning of our weekly Family Night, we take a minute to talk about safety. We call this our Safety Minute. We discuss personal safety, school safety, friend safety, outside safety, fire safety, etc. We share scenarios and role play. This has helped us to have an open dialogue about how to always be safe, even when mom and dad aren't around.
When you're desperate: Candy.
25 comments:
First of all, I love all of your tips, especially the reverance at church one. I am definitely going to try that. Second of all, I am absolutely no help at all to you. As you will see if you read my blog I am going through it with Ella. SHE WILL NOT STOP whining. And my making her reask does NOT work. Unfortunately yelling seems to as she is kind of a scaredy cat! But I can't yell all the time.
I'm not sure if this will work with Andrew, but my latest is that when I ask Aubrie to do something and she won't, I have been turning the instructions into a song. I pick whatever melody pops into my head, sometimes I clap with it, but it catches her attention, she immediately does what I want her to do and we all stay happy! Love your tips. Thanks for sharing!
P.S. Ellie DESPISES the car wash as well. She covers her eyes just like Andrew and talks about how she's scared of the brushes!
Natalie- I think you are a great great mom!! My mom had an extra super hard toddler, my brother Dan, and I will email you since it is kind of a long story! Keep smiling and think of all the quality blog material that he will give you in the next couple of years!
My favorite was "Mommies are not maids. . ." That was great. Natalie you could make big bucks on these tips. You ought to copyright it. All I can say about little Andrew is, be glad he's not a twin.
Thanks for all your secrets. i am goign to start using them tomorrow. Espcially... well all of them. Love the FHE safety thing, YOu are smart to start while they are young. We need to start something like that. Oh and by the way I have my own littel andrew. Let me know if you figure soemting out that helps.
These are really great tips for those who aren't moms yet so thanks for the post. In a few years I might have some advice...
These were awesome tips! I am so excited to have them as a reference for days I am struggling. I love the run around the house one. I think my boys would think it was funny and it would defintely burn off their tension.
I don't have any great advice for Andrew. I've learned that all my kids are so different and require different praise and different discipline and it is SO HARD to figure it all out sometimes. "1...2...3...Spank," worked excellently for Luke. I only had to spank him once really and then he would always stop his inappropriate behavior on the 1,2,3. But Kobe? He could get spanked all day with a smile on his face. Kobe's behavior is always best when I'm spending more one-on-one time with him, but when do I ever have enough time for one-on-one's? So complicated.
Good luck! I think Jude may be my first 'terrible twos'. The other boys were worse when they were three. But I have noticed that my kids definitely go through phases. So just when I think that they won't serve missions and will end up in juvy, they wake up with a smile on their face and the phase is over.
I feel your pain! Actually, I think Andrew has a twin and it's ALEX.
I can't say this worked every time, but it helped me keep my sanity and not reach for the wooden spoon.
Take away a toy or a privilege every time he disobeys. Tell him you're going to do this in advance so that when it happens, he'll know what's going on. No warnings, no second chances. This is key, because he needs to know you're serious and that he can't play you. Just say "You know better" or "That was a bad choice you just made", so that he know the consequence to his action.Then he has to behave to get the toy back. For Sarah, I only had to take away her reading privileges once. Alex tested me. A few times. But it works most of the time.
Also, do you have a naughty spot or a time out mat? Sometimes Alex will go sit in the naughty spot all by himself when he's out of control.
Also, be sure to point out when Andrew is being good. But instead of saying "I'm so proud of you", say "You are making such good choices - I bet you feel proud for being such a responsible/respectful/helpful (whatever) big boy". I've found that when I only catch Alex being bad, it sort of becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, and I want him to adopt good behavior because he feels good inside when he does.
Good luck. Parenting ain't for wimps, huh?
Ugh - I'm so going through this with Lexi! I have been having such a hard time lately figuring out how to discipline her, especially in public. It's so hard! She just doesn't listen!
Most of my tricks are the same as what you've listed. At Disneyland/in public I also just started holding Lexi for her time out and she has to place her head on my shoulder. I also always explain what she did wrong when I put her in time out, and I make her say sorry to me and to anyone else involved when she's done.
Wow - I love the church one. Now I'm suddenly looking forward to Sacrament Meeting to try this one out :)
Wow - this post is like a gold mine of good info! I am dying here - I think Walter is entering the terrible 2s and Kylie is in the midst of the TERRIBLE 3s.
When Kylie is totally freaking and won't do a time-out, I have to sit down with her on my lap and hold down her arms (and somehow her legs, too) and physically restrain her until she calms down.
When she wiggles out of the seatbelt, I tell her if she can't sit correctly in her seat, I will have to strap her into her old carseat (which she hated.)
I am reading Supernanny right now and she has lots of good ideas.
The only advice I can give is read the book 123 Magic. It's basically about time-outs. I have altered it to suit my family. And even then, I am still baffled at times. I have a kid in terrible 1's and 4's.
Natlie, I just left a huge comment and it said unable to process... did you get it?? I'll check back later and write it again if I have to.
Thanks for all the good tips! I wish I had some for you. Sometimes I feel like Olivia is one going on two, because she already throws tantrums!
Thats hilarious that he hates the car wash!
Callie, I love 123 Magic. But I'm not having success with Andrew when I use it. He just thinks it's a game ...
Denae, the comment didn't come through, so write it again if you can :)
I feel your pain! And I loved your tips--i'm definitely stealing them from you! Garrett likes to do his own thing, too. I can't think of any good tips, as I'm struggling, too. Just pray a lot and eat lots of ice cream :) They have to grow out of it someday, right?!!
Alright, Natalie, you inspired me. All week I've been thinking about your comment about being a mom, not a maid. After getting home from our trip and facing a mountain of undone laundry and spending the day loading the mountain up two flights of stairs (once they were clean) and onto my bed to be folded, I saw that it was going to take me hours to get it put away. So, with your inspiration, I decided to enlist some help and made everybody join me in my room for 20 minutes of folding family fun. Most of them liked it (turns out, if I actually let them, they kinda wanna help). And, w/ in half an hour, it was done! Thanks for the inspiration. Keep the good ideas coming!
Great idea's. I use alot of those too!
That is funny he hates the car wash.
Is there something near and dear to his heart that you can threaten to take away...or something that will really grab his attention?
Good luck!
Where were you when I had small children? Oh, I know, you were probably small then too. I am going to print this out and save for my grandchildren (that I hope to have in the next 4-5 years.)
This is sheer genius, glad I was lurking. (From Celia)
Natalie, I think that your blog title should be "Mother's Manual." You are full of great ideas. No wonder I always think to ask you when facing a new mothering challenge.
I would love to hear more about your safety minutes.
Thanks for your great ideas and inspirations.
I had been using the toy in time out trick...It works like a charm! I think I will copy all of these and hang them on my fridge...a sort of quick fix list! I love it!
Holy cow, 21 comments! That must be a record...wow. I am not really laughing... in fact I feel tight and anxious. Your troubles with Andrew are totally both my Emma and Jonas. With Emma the only thing that worked was putting her in water... bath, or even just putting her hands in a sink at a restaurant bathroom because nothing else would snap her out of "it". AND all of my kids were big on the positive reinforcement system... AKA charts with rewards at the end. For Emma, her charts were mostly about being happy... stickers for days she was actually in a good mood.... for Shailey it was getting her to work and clean up... for Jonas it was the getting into messes, climbing on furniture, knocking down the lamp so many times I finally stopped repairing it and just threw it away... can't have a lamp. So find out a big incentive like a Buzz Lightyear, or video...
okay, so i just left this comment because Emma informed me that jonas wrote his name all over her wall...AHHHHHHH! I am not kidding. who am i to give advice... sheesh.
Anyhow, the last thing i will say is that it is scary how similar jonas and andrew are... we would totally put jonas into his carseat because it was the only time out he could not get out of.... AND.... what did he hate most of all... THE CAR WASH!!! He would scream and cry. It was a good threat. When you wrote that it shocked me... I had not heard of other kids doing this too.
So I am off to finish the punishment. No more good advice from me.
Thanks for all the tips! I'm going to try the "run laps around the house" one. I know it's hard to appreciate it now, but when Andrew is all grown up, you will love that you documented him in all of his mischievousness! I wish I had written down all of the crazy things Kai did when he was 2 and 3.
Great tips Natalie! I love to hear your suggestions because you are a wonderful mother. Love the "you can't act like this even if you're frustrated".
My only advice to you would be to go out and buy
"love and logic magic for the early years" . It is SO GREAT!!! You would love it.
Do toys mean a lot to him? When Evy is misbehaving, I say, "uh oh, I'm going to take teddy bear now." And then I keep taking toys away for the day until she straightens up- but I don't know if he's attached to anything. Good luck! Evy was a really hard 2 year old and at 3 is very good. So maybe it will pass!
Post a Comment