Here's what makes me a bad mood dude:
The Biggest Loser. After I watch it, I am kind of ornery. I'm very frustrated with the people who are on this season. Tara needs to stop whining all the time. Her behavior last night was so immature! And if I see her cry or bug her eyes out at the camera once more, I'm throwing the remote at her. And Helen? So smug and selfish. I can't believe she stayed and sent her daughter home. I'm still mad at the black team for what they did during their 24 hours of luxury. The contestants who I really admire are those who are struggling the most (well, except for Aubrey who really needs to stop plucking her eyebrows). Either they keep losing challenges, or their weight loss isn't bullet fast. It's demoralizing that the same people are losing over and over. And the same people are winning all the time, too. Even worse, the winners are so arrogant about it.
My kids keep breaking my house. Last night, Big A came into Little E's room as I was dressing her for bed. He was crying. He had hit his head really hard. Turns out he was trying to pry apart the floor boards in my kitchen. He got one loose and kept pulling. Pulled so hard, he broke it in half and it came right off. The momentum propelled him forward and he smacked his head into the wall. He was sent STRAIGHT to bed. I was fuming mad. The worst kind of fuming mad - where you can't even get mad, you're just so stinkin' mad.
Trying to keep my house clean. I simply can't figure out how to do this. Just can't. To maintain a truly clean house, I have to be obsessive about it and spend all my time cleaning or picking up, which results in me snapping at anybody who tries to live a life in my house. But that can only last so long, and then I am too tired to keep up with it all. There's never a smooth routine that fits all the time. Do any of you have advice? Honestly, my kids are very good at cleaning up. I encourage them a little and they do a great job. But it's still overwhelming. If I'm not careful, my house will swallow me up and keep me from doing anything else! No exercise, no reading, no playing with kids, no relaxing with D, no blogging, and no fun. Maybe my standards of cleanliness are unrealistic. My problem is that I don't feel completely relaxed when things are chaotic and messy. (Sigh) This needs to be easier - Help!
Despite my sour mood, there have been some great things going on that have made me smile. But only for a second.
First - The Jehovah's Witness who continually comes by my house at the worst times (because I chickened out and failed to ask that she not return) knocked on my door last week to tell me she was moving and wouldn't be able to drop off literature anymore. Darn.
Second - Girl Scout cookies arrived and now they are all gone, which is a relief in itself. No more temptation other than the Rocky Road icecream in the freezer. And the Oreos in the cupboard...
Third - Masterpiece Theatre. Every Sunday night on PBS, you will find some great shows. Last year, we enjoyed the works of Jane Austin. This year: Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Wuthering Heights. Most recently featured are works by Charles Dickens: Oliver Twist and David Copperfield. Now, I am motivated to read (or re-read) these classics. For a more complete schedule, click here.
Fourth - Mr. J is such a creative and talented artist. His teacher chose his artwork to be featured in a local art show. Our family was able to go to the open house and see his work. He was so proud, and it was great to celebrate this accomplishment with him. Way to go, J!
If you ask our kids, the best part of the night was the cheap punch and stale cookies!
Finally - D & I celebrated our 10th Anniversary! Neither of us can believe it's been ten years already! We enjoyed a nice dinner out, and later this year we'll take a little trip to celebrate. Love you so much, D!

See? There are always more reasons to smile than be grumpy. Right? Now, will someone come over and clean up my basement?
14 comments:
Natalie--I feel your pain! I think you should add to your list the very grey, very cold, non-spring weather. I don't think it's helpful when piled on top of pregnancy, lack of sleep, weight gain and keeping up with crazy kids! Hang in there!
Hang in there Natalie. I don't know if this will help you feel better, but I often look at my two kids and all the work they are and think of my friends with more kids and wonder how they do it. Kids are demanding. You are a wonderful mother and that's what really matters.
You have no idea how much I loved this post. What would I do with out you Natalie? I know this is crazy for me to say, because I only have two and I'm not pregnant, but I feel the same way about cleaning. I can't relax when its dirty, yet a more clean house results in an ornerier and more uptight me. If you figure out the balance let me know! Your a great mom! And James is so cute! Sorry about the floor board that is amazing that he was able to dislodge it. Who is he the incredible hulk?
Oh and Happy Anniversary! I'm glad to hear that you are still going to go on your trip!
You always make me smile--even when you are grumpy you are funny. And I hear you about drowning in your house/clutter. I had a friend who had to have at least one clean room in her house at any given time. Then when things were just too cluttery, she'd go sit in that room, breathe and have a moment of peace. I'm thinking it was a pretty good idea--might try it myself.
And happy 10th!!! You and Drew are so great together, and you have such fantastic kids.
I think aside from hiring someone to come and clean your house-it's just not possible with 4 little ones (and a 5th on the way). I know I have a hard enough time with the whole clean house thing with just 2 kids.
So don't stress about the housework-keep up the most important job-being a wonderful mother. :)
Oh, Natalie. Just face up to the fact that you were never meant to have nice things, and get over the grieving process. I firmly believe that my house will be in tact and clean when our last child moves out. Since I am a child, that will never happen.
:)
The clutter will keep. I have decorative baskets in nearly every room of the house, and I throw everything that bugs me in the baskets. Once a week, I have the kids empty a basket or two. The only thing I can't seem to contain is ALL THE PAPERS THEY BRING HOME FROM SCHOOL! GAH!
Other than that, enjoy your kids and don't stress too much about the mess. It won't ever grow up and move away.
Yes, I will come and clean your basement- please let me!!! I would love to help you out because we all have been in the grumpy dude mood! Will you let me? Your posts always make me smile!
I remember you wedding so well. You looked beautiful and I knew Drew was dang lucky! I loved where you had your reception and I can't believe how time has flown by. You kids are so adorable. I am like you, I have the bad list and the good list. Thank goodness for the good list.
Oh my gosh - you've been watching the Masterpiece collection as well this season?! Woohoo! Would love your review. I was really taken with Wuthering Heights - just loved it! I'm thinking of asking Greg for a copy for my B-day. And yes - they totally motivate another read through the classics.
Sorry about the floor board. It would take a very rare (almost impossible) person to NOT get mad at that type of scenario.
Congrats to you and Drew on your 10yr mark! Isn't it amazing how fast it goes?
I so agree about the biggest loser. Tara is driving me crazy. Most of them are.
I don't know what to tell you about your poor floor. Oh dear. I feel your anger. Has he been forgiven yet?
When I am complaining about my small house I try to remember it is less space to clean, but also no where to hide from the mess. I know you are Type A, so you won't heed my "good enough is good enough" motto.
Natalie,
The more I help you moms at times of baby births or whatever,the more I realize what a hard job motherhood is. It's a two woman job. You could seriously keep two women busy all day. I recommend being a grandmother. It's a great job.
I also have to say congratulations to you and Drew. We are so glad that you married out son. We think you're great! Also we're proud of James and his great artistry.
I am glad there is some good thrown in with the bad, Natalie. I am having a hard time with my house too and really dread what it will be like next week when I have 4 kids instead of 3, much less sleep, and lots more stuff.
Post a Comment