Monday, October 25, 2010

Getting D to the B: Menu Planning

I remember watching my mom when I was little.

She worked a full-time job.

And she also prepared a well balanced meal for our family of seven every single night. 

She must have been exhausted. But she still did it. (Wow, mom. Thank you!!)

Here's how: 

She would make a list of meals.

Next, she would make a grocery list based on what was on the menu. 

Then, she put the menu on the fridge for all to see.
We all knew what was for dinner because the menu was in plain sight.

I have always been a menu planner as a result of watching my mom.
I now see the wisdom behind her system:

* When you create a menu plan, healthy eating happens more readily.

* A menu plan prevents the Oh-no-it's-5:00-and-I-have-no-idea-what-to-fix-for-dinner-dilemma.

* A meal plan contributes to successful weight loss.

* If you plan a menu, you spend less money at the grocery store. 

*It also prevents too much costly and unhealthy eating out.

Now.
I know that some of you just don't operate this way.
That's OK, I still love you.
Many of you like to cook according to what sounds good to you at that moment.
You can walk into the grocery store and buy all you need without a list.
The necessary ingredients are just at the tip of your brain.

Many of us in the general population can not do that.
We forget things too easily. We need a list to help us.
 I prefer to make the process as quick and as painless as possible.

This requires having a plan.

I have tweaked my mom's system just a little bit.
I believe I have a plan that works great for feeding my hungry crowd.
Heck, it practically runs itself. 

First TipPlan two weeks worth of meals on your menu.  
This seems to be just the right amount of time.
A one week plan for meals is fine, but then you're menu planning all the time. 
Yet, if you plan for a month worth of meals,
you tend to change your mind about the food you want to eat by the end of the month.
Let's not waste our time and energy, Okay?  

Second Tip:  Plan your meals according to your schedule. 
Do you have a day full of appointments and activities? Get out the crockpot.
Date night? Make something simple.
Lots of leftovers by the end of the week? Fridge Buffet. 
Guests coming over? Make something special
You get the idea.

Third Tip:  Find a rhythm that works for your family. 
The Food Nanny recommends a theme night each evening. For example:

Sundays: Comfort food
Mondays: Italian
Tuesdays: Mexican
(and so on)

We do a modified version of this since I have to keep things simple.

Sundays: Comfort Food.
Sunday is a special day for us. We put more effort into our meal for this day.


Mondays: Leftovers.
Mondays are insane anyway (laundry).  We enjoy the leftover food from Sunday.

Tuesdays: New recipes or a favorite tried & true meal.
I have more time to cook on this day. It's fun to use this night for what we're craving.

Wednesdays: Crockpot, slow cook or prepare ahead meals.
This is our busiest day of the week. Feeding my family a healthy meal is still a priority.

Thursdays: Fridge Buffet.
Eat up the leftovers from the week. No wasting food here.
Besides, this is my Cleaning Day Eve. I'd rather not cook.

Fridays: Simple supper. 
Think 30 minutes or less prep time.
We want to go on a date. Or have family movie night. 

Saturdays: Simple, family fun meal. 
Let the kids help prepare the meal; pizza night or tacos for example. 


Note: One of my friends plans 15 or 16 meals at a time.
She purchases all ingredients for those meals.
Each evening, she prepares a meal from that list depending on what her family wants to eat.
Also a very good system.


Fourth Tip: Write it down
This is a no-brainer if you are a menu planner.
Be sure to have your grocery list right by so you can write your ingredients down as you plan.
I found a system on this website that I really like.
Actually, I love it. It is my current way of menu planning.
Melanie from My Kitchen Cafe has amazing templates for a menu and grocery list.
Take a moment to look at her ideas - they are awesome.
I've adapted her system by including a column at the bottom for meal ideas for next time.
Cause, you know, I'm always thinking about food ahead.

Fifth Tip: Timing makes a difference
Do you find yourself out of food and in need of a major grocery store visit? 
And even worse, with no time to give thought to your dinners?
Here's what I've done and it's made a huge difference:
Create your two week menu one week before you grocery shop.
For example, I grocery shop on Mondays
This means the Tuesday before, I create my menu plan and grocery list.
By Monday morning, I have my menu and grocery list all ready to go.

It is awesome.
I only have to do this twice a month since I plan two weeks of meals.

Lastly: Grocery Shopping
With this system, I do major grocery shopping only twice a month (HOORAY!)
The alternating weeks, I make a very quick trip for fresh produce, milk, etc.

See?

Easy Peasy.

8 comments:

Marti said...

You are amazing. That's all I can say. (and I love that family picture of yours to the right)

Laura said...

These are so great! I wish you lived next door to me so you could help me get more organized in life!

PS. I think I am going to change my Star Chart to your rock jars... where did you find all the great rocks for your kid's jars?

Natalie said...

Ty: I found the rocks/pebbles at Michaels. A huge bag was $7.

(PS, I'd LOVE to live next door to you, too!)

Jen said...

Hey, that is pretty much what I do. But I only commit to 6 meals. I totally agree with easy crock-pot meals for busy days.

Jessica Brown said...

I have loved your Getting D to B. I discovered early on in our marriage that I hated shopping, and then I had kids. Ha ha ha ha. Now I loathe it. So I pretty much do this same system as you and it does work so great. Its been a little trickier trying to revolve menu's around coupon shopping too, but it saves lots of money so I don't complain! I also started making home-made bread and I've been amazed how much that saves us too, and so many less trips to the store.
Thanks for the template of the menu planning. That will help me stay organized.

Jessica Brown said...

Oh and can you PLEEEEASE post that chocolate cake recipe. I was drooling just looking at it! :)

KickButtMommy said...

I want to be you.

Natalie said...

Jess: It's a chocolate torte and very, very rich. Just the way I like it.

You can find the recipe here: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/05/double-chocolate-mousse-torte.html